• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha 3 alternate CD installation

Doing a new clean installation with the > Alpha3

Try #1

Using > Ext4 for the /root and /home partitions:

- when booting, grub can't start to the new installation, grub is dying with the stage 1.5 error

- other linux installations are also dying if they have ext4 partitions at the fstab. Error was: filesystem has unsupported feature(s) while trying to open /dev/...

Try #N

Doing a conventional ext3 installation. I have 2xpata and 2xsata drives. Previous Kubuntu releases have first counted pata drives and then sata drives. Now sata drives are first and then pata drives.

Grub is only working for the new installation. When trying to boot to the other linux installations or to the MS-Windows, grub is trying to start from the wrong partition. I have to manually edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Really useful link > HOW TO: GRUB Methods - Toolkit

and really useful tool > Super Grub
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Re: Alpha 3 alternate CD installation

Hello Rog, thank you for the input.

I tried the daily jaunty live and alt today.

The live did not want to recognize my HDD's.

The Alt did everything fine until I was asked for the download mirrors at apt-manager configuration.

I guess it doesn't like my network card.
    00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
    Is this the new kernel playing games?
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

The Alt did everything fine until I was asked for the download mirrors Huh at apt-manager configuration.
      Hmm - here it did ask something like: (poor translation+poor memory)
      Please enter the network name of the host... [hostname]:[port]
      when i was using non-english installation option.

When i tried to get that information at the correct form/correct english (using localized keyboard+english installation) i didn't get it. Everything went as should .

Maybe this is (> Jaunty Alpha 3 released)
      ...This is quite an early set of images, so you should expect some bugs....
      :P

To get right localization settings (i haven't tested this, yet) the Jaunty has a new package: oem-config-debconf
      debconf frontend for end-user post-install configuration

The oem-config script re-asks a number of questions that are normally asked during installation, and reconfigures the system accordingly. This allows a vendor to install a skeleton system, clone it onto a large number of machines, and ship it to end users, while still allowing end users to set up their own username and password, language, timezone, and so on.

This is a frontend to oem-config that simply arranges for questions to be asked using the normal debconf frontend.

Could be

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan

The new kernel is still a rc so hopefully this will be foxed by the final release
        Kubuntu 9.04<br /><br /><br />http://www.kubuntucomputergeeks.com

Comment

I got JJ installed with the default (english) language.

I formated / to ext4 and installed grub to the JJ Partition with the hope that my normal grub ( II ) would see it.

No go. Just like rog's experience.
          Am now installing with ext3
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

[SOLVED] Is there a way to install Jaunty as ext4?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you snowhog.
              That got me so interested that I scrapped my ext3 JJ install (which went fine) and did a JJ ext4 install.

I then followed this:
              Quote from:
              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1026631

Originally Posted by Quikee View Post
              I have solved this by adding "rootfstype=ext4" to boot options (manualy in grub but later in temporary in grub's "menu.lst").
              Perfect! A much more elegant solution than my suggestion. Thanks!

For anyone reading this who isn't quite sure what Quikee meant, edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file (as root), find the "kopt" option, and append "rootfstype=ext4" to that line, eg.

Code:

# kopt=root=UUID=422cead6-da03-473f-a2dc-1a551da53d2f ro rootfstype=ext4

Then run "sudo update-grub".
              To look like this:
              # kopt=root=UUID=642f5951-7b8d-4b9a-aabd-794a2e4f3091 ro rootfstype=ext4

The uuid is correct according to sudo blkid

I then activated that kopt line (by deleting the #) and did a
              Code:
              sudo update-grub
              Trying to boot I still get a stage 1.5 error.

So I went back to my menu.lst and found that the kopt line had returned to the default which is:
              # kopt=root=UUID=149ae850-fbce-4cee-9bf3-c48e4c636846 ro

Any ideas?

4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Don't update-grub after you edit your kernel boot line to add "rootfstype=ext4". kopt will still be wrong, but it doesn't matter until you install new kernel, right?

Comment

Hi Dible and a belated happy New Year

I don't know about the kernel.
                  This mine for JJ
                  kernel 2.6.28-4-generic

But I can't try anything anyway have a huge FTP (Joomla Install) going at the moment
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                    Hi Dible and a belated happy New Year
                    Same to my friend in CH!

I'll let you do the JJ experiments -- I'm waiting for Beta, and then I am going to install it on ext4. I just noticed that update-grub is undoing your edit to kopt and the kernel boot line, and apparently you need that boot option to boot it.

Comment

Hi,

Well, downloaded the 4th Feb nightly build and (fairly) successfully installed it on my Acer Aspire 5685WLMi.

The really cool thing is that the bluetooth works, "out of the box", which it never did before :-)

The built-in SD HC card reader, which also only worked on Windows before, now works under Jaunty, so thats good too :-)

The really bad thing is that the built-in trackpad no-longer works...

The wireless isn't working, but I have had that working before with ndiswrapper/fwcutter, so I can accept that I'll have to do a bit of messing around with that.

The system does have Nvidia graphics, so I was convinced I'd have to do some command line messing around with apt, etc to make basic things work, but the graphics side has been totally painless :-) Having said that, I've yet to try a 3D app, like Oolite or Racer.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get the trackpad working, I would definately be interested in hearing them :-)

TTFN!

Paul
                      ~~~~

Comment

If anyone has any ideas on how to get the trackpad working, I would definately be interested in hearing them :-)
                        I don't have a trackpad but here is a thread from the Ubuntu Forums > Trackpad Stopped Working After Update and a bugreport > Trackpad crashed on Jaunty update.

Comment

Thanks for the pointer!

apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-all and then a reboot fixed it :-)

Paul
                          ~~~~

Comment

Working...
                          X