This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jaunty alpha 2 - setup and first impressions

Today I installed jaunty alpha2 i386 from the alternate cd, while keeping my old home partition. The installation routine went smoothly and so did the first boot. Keeping the custom kde settings was not a good idea, as the panel was invisible and impossible to move/modify. Purging the settings solved the problem.
    I have a GeForce Go 7300 and this means that to actually make the desktop usable I have to install the nvidia drivers.
    The simplest way to have it done is to add the following lines to /etc/apt/sources.list
    Code:
    deb [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/anders-kaseorg/ubuntu[/url] jaunty main
    deb-src [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/anders-kaseorg/ubuntu[/url] jaunty main
    and run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-180-kernel-source nvidia-180-modaliases nvidia-glx-180
    I had to manually run nvidia-xconfig in order to generate a new xorg.conf . But that is not enough.To get a graphical display one has to add the following lines to xorg.conf
    Code:
    Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "IgnoreABI" "True"
    EndSection
    There are no other hardware issues for the moment (wireless and bluetooth not tested yet).

Plasma tends to crash when configuring the panel, especially when adding widgets to it. This causes the panel to become invisible and to be moved to the upper edge of the screen. The only way I found to make it visible again is to change the theme in Desktop Settings. With the widgets locked there seem to be no more crashes.
    The system tray has garbled icons, but I haven't noticed any other graphical glitches.

Edit: There is a small X problem when hovering over links in firefox, as detailed here fixed

Tor is broken, so if in need one has to use the intrepid version.

There seem to be no other issues at the moment. It is quite a solid release for an alpha.

Re: jaunty alpha 2 - setup and first impressions

Good for you, musta!

I am waiting for JJ Beta, then maybe I will have as much courage as you.

Comment

LOL dibl I remember when you were brave enough for Alpha versions.

Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo5HH
        dibl I remember when you were brave enough for Alpha versions.
        WHAT -- how dare you challenge my courage?

Actually, I've got some serious work going on and can't stand to trash the system at the moment.

But give me the Beta and then stand back!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          dibl I remember when you were brave enough for Alpha versions.
          WHAT -- how dare you challenge my courage?

Actually, I've got some serious work going on and can't stand to trash the system at the moment.

But give me the Beta and then stand back!
          We still have four more alphas until then. :\

Then next is scheduled for the 15th. I hope someone gets the nvidia proprietary drivers packaged to work with the new xorg before then.
          Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1

We still have four more alphas until then. :\
            Boo -- that sounds like an awful lot of fixing, to me.

I hope someone gets the nvidia proprietary drivers packaged to work with the new xorg before then.
            Does the downloaded Nvidia driver installer not work on it? If you've got the linux-headers and build-essential for your kernel, try the 180.18 Beta driver from here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606

It doesn't sound like there's much to lose from trying it ....

Comment

Does the downloaded Nvidia driver installer not work on it?
              The drivers do work, but not out of the box. Regardless of the install method, one needs to add the IgnoreABI option to xorg.conf. There are still issues, as the terminals (tty) are pretty unusable at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by musta ruhtinas
                Does the downloaded Nvidia driver installer not work on it?
                The drivers do work, but not out of the box. Regardless of the install method, one needs to add the IgnoreABI option to xorg.conf. There are still issues, as the terminals (tty) are pretty unusable at the moment.
                Yeah... what Musta said. I haven't been crazy about the idea of using the IgnoreABI workaround, knowing it would be relatively broken compared to my current setup.
                Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

For the most part it has been good! I had to add the Option "IgnoreABI" "True" running on Nvidia 180.18 driver/firmware. I also get this flashing problem sometimes in FF & Seamonkey.

Cary
                  The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

JJ is going to be using the 2.6.28 kernel right so we should get some better WiFi support. At least this is what I hope!

I want to use a USB wifi or the internal card on my MSI Wind 100.

Kev

Comment

JJ is going to be using the 2.6.28 kernel
                      The current jaunty kernel is based on 2.6.28-rc8. My custom 2.6.29-rc1 runs very smoothly as well, but I did not feel any significant improvement in any of them.

Comment

I have downloaded this with the new kde4.2 rc and I am very pleased. First some background

I have been using kubuntu since dapper upgrading a few months after its offical releases. Bit too careful for the main reason that I did not have a clue so this is the first alpha release (or beta for that matter) that I have tried of kubuntu.

Second thing to bear in mind is that I have never been able to get intrepid 8.10 working properly because of issues with my graphics card /monitor and has always come up with input not supported except in safe graphics mode.

So i thought I would give this a stab as I can run a live cd and then if I like it, stick it on a pen drive to add other programmes.

The iso worked fine for me and set up straight away and loaded first time in safe graphics mode and then afterwards in normal mode which was great news. A couple of programmes crashed straight away nepo musik which I have never used was one of the these. The graphics at first were a little slow but the drivers for my graphics card at least work unlike in 8.10

So here I stuck the iso on a pen drive as a live system using usb-creator and rebooted so I could play about.

The link to amarok in the system menu did not work but my ethernet and sound did which was good as did my printer driver. What crashes I had I tried to make sure any new bugs were reported

I checked out how to update my sources to enable me to download amarok which it did with not too much trouble except a few errors. I also took the time to run some updates again some of which did not work. However at the end of the process I had sorted amarok to run and also downloaded firefox too.

Here I needed to break and tried the suspend option which in hardy has never worked for me. Here it did all fine and dandy but then I was given a kdm login screen ( I do knot know what to do here re username /password so shutdown. When I rebooted again because it being a live pen drive I went straight to the login screen so was a little 'effed'

I have know reinstalled the old iso on my pen drive and will give it a bash again this time remembering to try and set passwords etc up....

First impressions

It bloody works!

For the first time I have been able to mess about with kde4 in normal mode ( ie not safe graphics)

More later
                        Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Working...
                        X