This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No KDE, Xorg changes ?

After yesterdays (15.12) updates JJ /1/ was starting to the text window.

Workaround was: Grub -> recovery mode -> xfix, Try to auto repair graphic problem. Writing new xorg.conf.

/1/

Upgrading xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-input-evdev...

Error was (with the AMD Catalyst 8.12):
    (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
    (EE) Failed to load module "glx" (loader failed, 7)
    (EE) module ABI major version (1) doesn't match the server's version (2)
    (EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
    (EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
    (EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
    for help.
    Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Re: No KDE, Xorg changes ?

Mine is hosed as well, I don't have a fix x option either I tried manual install of Nvidia driver & that fails too

Cary
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Maybe it is this > JauntyJackalope/TechnicalOverview
      Known Issues

As is to be expected at this stage of the release process, there are several known bugs that users are likely to run into with Jaunty Alpha 2. We have documented them here for your convenience along with any known workarounds, so that you don't need to spend time reporting these bugs again:

A new XServer, version 1.6, is included in Alpha-2. The binary proprietary drivers -fglrx and -nvidia are not yet supported for this server and will exhibit various serious issues if run against it. Users of these drivers are encouraged to wait or to switch to the corresponding open source drivers (-ati and -nv respectively) in the meantime...

>> Latest Xorg removes nvidia driver ... conflicting xserver-xorg-video-4
      >> fglrx in jaunty jackalope X version mismatch

Comment

I didn't run into this myself, but that's why I always run 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' manually from the command line and check the list of what will be removed *before* hitting 'y'.

When I saw nvidia-glx-180 in the list, it was a sure sign to hold off.

When you run 'sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade', any thing in the "held back" section (which you can get via dist-upgrade or installing them specifically) means one of two things: a) The packages depend on other co-req packages that aren't yet available, or b) The packages conflict with something you have installed and will remove it. For this reason, I *always* do these updates from a konsole during alpha and beta.

Also, if the install doesn't work, it's easier and more sure that you can capture the output to file a bug report.

You guys probably already know this, but I thought I'd spell it out so that new people wouldn't have to learn the hard way... like I did.
        Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

I see that nVidia's released a new 180.18 beta... wonder if we'll see a 'buntu package that is compatible with the new Xorg?

It seems like this is probably a pretty large roadblock for any testers thinking about doing a dist-upgrade at the moment.
          Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Woo hoo! New nvidia 180.22 packages are in and compatible with the newer Xorg!

Comment

Hi all,
              I'm personally using the latest nouveau drivers with the latest gallium3D.
              I did have a working desktop with them yesterday and last night,I started updating.
              However,with the latest KDE-4.1 *96 packages,there's something wrong,I'll wait to see if more updates are going to fix the problem.

The problem is that when I start up in normal mode,I used to get the login screen,but I get a tty1 now,I have to login that way and startx.I get the five icons through the login process,but I get a white screen.I can launch Krunner and can use various apps that way.

My graphics card is a Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT with 256Mb of memory,and my Monitor is a ADI Microscan G1000.

Regards,
              STEVE555

Comment

Here with the AMD radeon 9600 XT, opensource drivers.

Graphical login (kdm) is dying to the text screen. When starting kde with the command:
                Code:
                xinit /usr/bin/startkde
                KDE/Kubuntu is starting OK but the plasma is a bit fragile You can watch it but don't touch it -> plasma crached with the SIGSEGV... .

It could be that:

- there are still mixed batch of the packages (beta/RC).
                - this is still the Try#1 > kde-release-team / KDE 4.2 RC1
                - something else

Comment

Hi Rog131,
                  - this is still the Try#1 > kde-release-team / KDE 4.2 RC1
                  In a strange way I'm not alone I've had a look at that link,and can't wait for kde-nightly or project neon to take on the KDE-4.2 builds

Regards,
                  STEVE555

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1
                    Woo hoo!  New nvidia 180.22 packages are in and compatible with the newer Xorg!
                    That's funny, I still get the mismatch error if I remove the "IgnoreABI" option in xorg.conf

I too end up in tty1 and have to manually start X. Plasma immediately segfaults, but I can (well, sort of) use the GUI.
                    That's the first really ugly surprise from KDE since moving to 4.1.

Comment

After yesterdays upgrades my KDE is tragicly broken! luckily I can tab between FF & Thunderbird but alt F2 is also stuffed so I cant start any new app. I just have to remember to shutdown without closing my apps

Cary
                      The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Hi guys,
                        Here's an update.
                        as of 13/01/2009 at 10:30 pm G.M.T,I can happily report after doing a dist-upgarde,my KDE desktop is back

The only problem is that since Alpha 1,the various KDE applications I've installed still don't show up in the applications section of the k-menu

Does anybody know of a workaround? I tried Musta Ruhtinas's workaround for the same problem that occurred on the KDE Noen project builds somtime ago,but that doesn't seem to work anymore

Also,does anybody experince Anikondi starting up and keeps saying it has a problem?

Regards,
                        STEVE555

Comment

I can happily report after doing a dist-upgarde,my KDE desktop is back
                          ditto

The only problem is that since Alpha 1,the various KDE applications I've installed still don't show up in the applications section of the k-menu
                          Are these applications KDE 3 or KDE 4 applications ? Or both ?

Comment

Hi Rog131,
                            Yes I can confirm they are all kde4 applications.I find it annoying having to use krunner all the time to launch an application.

Regards,
                            STEVE555

Comment

Originally posted by STEVE555
                              Does anybody know of a workaround? I tried Musta Ruhtinas's workaround for the same problem that occurred on the KDE Noen project builds somtime ago,but that doesn't seem to work anymore
                              Well, that ugly fix was applied to kde-neon's paths, so you will have to adjust it a bit.

Originally posted by STEVE555
                              Also,does anybody experince Anikondi starting up and keeps saying it has a problem?
                              I got that error message a lot while in intrepid, haven't got it yet in jaunty.

I'm writing from my desktop now, on which I held any updates till these recent issues are solved. Tomorrow I'll run the updates on my already affected laptop, see what happens and post back.

Hopefully it will be fixed quickly.

EDIT: I updated the desktop to 4.1.96 and apart from the fact that the wallpaper is not showing everything else seems fine for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X