This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB drive mount errors

today when I plugged in my 8GB flashdrive and tried to access it I got an error from dolphin

"An error occured while accessing 'Patriot', the system responded: org.freedesktop.Hal.Volume.UnknownFailure: mount: /dev/sdc1: can't read superblock"

this has never happened before and I have no idea what's wrong, would prefer not to lose data on it

Re: USB drive mount errors

What is the flashdrive formatted to?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

fdisk says W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Comment

Remount it in your Windows OS. Then, ensure that you click on the system tray device icon and select to safely remove the drive. Then remove it and retry it in Kubuntu.

Comment

Worked no problems, for the record I had tried plugging it into a windows 7 installation, and it just spat out that the drive needed to be formatted.

curious is there any specific reason for this error? I've removed flash drives from xp before without this occuring, the drive wasn't given enough time to save maybe...?

Comment

Windows doesn't seem to care if you just unplug your flashdrives - it will happily remount them when plugged back in. But, if you just pull out a flashdrive in Windows, and then plug it in to Linux, that's when you encounter this problem.

Comment

Working...
            X