This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(ABANDONED) Printer will not print.

I have a desktop computer with Linux mint Gloria 7. I cannot get my Printer, a Lexmark P4350 to work .
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    I don't own a printer
    0%
    Paritilly
    0%
    Don't Know
    0%
    Specification: 3.06 GHZ Pentium 4, 1 gig ram, 17" monitor, ECS P4M800PRO-M version 2 and 500 gig Hitachi desk star
    Linux Mint 7 Gloria KDE community editon.
    Based on Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope.

Re: Lexmark P4350

How is it connected - USB?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The printer is directly attached to the box by USB.
      Specification: 3.06 GHZ Pentium 4, 1 gig ram, 17" monitor, ECS P4M800PRO-M version 2 and 500 gig Hitachi desk star

Comment

Open a console and type:
        Code:
        groups
        Copy/paste the output into your reply. This will tell us what groups your user has access to. We'll go from there.

Comment

The output is 'mark adm dialout cdrom plugdev lpadmin admin sambashare' I also have access to root as mint allows root access without using sudo, if I need to do any root actions where sudo cannot be used.

Comment

Okay. Have you tried using CUPS to establish/configure the printer? In your broswer URL type:
            If you will search here in KFN on "http://localhost:631" or "localhost:631" you will find many helpful posts. You should be able to establish and configure your printer through CUPS.

Comment

I tried to search localhost:631 but I didn't find any solutions that worked,when I tried to print the printer turned on but didn't print. It is probably that I am using the wrong driver. There isn't a specific one, any suggestions please?

Comment

Re: Printer will not print.

Regrettably, your printer is listed at the OpenPrinting database as a "paperweight". This usually means that, in order to save money, the printer manufacturer does not install driver software in the printer. Instead he relies on software provided for windoze to drive the printer. In some cases, you can still get such a printer work with linux, but not often. I'd check the linuxprinting.org website for a printer that works.

Comment

Re: Printer will not print.

I gave and bought a S305 which works ok. I gave the old printer to someone who uses windows.

Comment

Working...
                  X