This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to release/unmount MTP device

My MP3 player is an MTP device, until recently Kubuntu/Amarok failed to access it although everything was configured correctly.

That changed with 8.10 and Amarok 2 and I can browse and play tracks using Amarok but Dolphin still won't show the player as a disk drive (though I might not be looking in the right place).

I use a Windows media manager running on VirtualBox to sync tracks to the device as it allows me to auto-convert tracks to MP3 at a specific quality and transfer album art.

A year ago VirtualBox could access the MP3 player as a USB device but it seems that as MTP support improved in Kubuntu it was necessary to quit Amarok before VirtualBox could access it. Now I am finding that even quitting Amarok is not releasing the player and VirtualBox reports that the device is 'busy with a previous request' so I am guessing that Kubuntu is not letting go.

Is there a way of temporarily un-mounting the player in Linux so that I can access it through VirtualBox?
    Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Re: How to release/unmount MTP device

What I sensed recently is that not only my device works in Amarok, but also gets autodetected and automounted, and that might be a plasma thing, not sure.

I would try using gnomad2, which will open the device, and then when you close gnomad2 will hopefully release it? Dunno, but maybe worth a try?

Comment

Thanks, I might take a look at this though it seems a roundabout way of achieving it. First I think I'll dig around for a command line option.
      Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

How about the Plasma widget for connected devices, does that help at all?

Comment

Working...
        X