Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toshiba Satellite L305-S5955 display issues?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba Satellite L305-S5955 display issues?

Hi everyone!

Some of you may remember my posting about how my boyfriend gave me a laptop for my birthday, and at the time, I thought everything was pretty much shiny. I've done some additional fussing since the initial install, profiled my boot to speed that up, bound touchpad disabling to ctrl+F5 and switched to wicd for my network manager. I have recently found a minor hangup which hasn't caused me problem yet, but if KDE or X have a serious issue, I will be hosed. Well, I suppose I could always hook the laptop up to the network via cat5, and connect via ssh from my desktop for command line work, but it would be nice to not have to run around the bush if I need to fix something like that.

Whenever I try to access the tty screens, it doesn't seem to work. I go between having a completely blank screen to noise where the tty screen's text should be. Given the weird I get when I boot the laptop up (sometimes it'll display everything at the widescreen aspect as it should, other times it only displays at the old school aspect ratio and I have to restart x to fix it), I am inclined to guess this is a video issue.

Anyone encounter this issue, either with the same model I have, Toshiba Satellite L305-S5955, or with any other laptop? To help, the specs for my laptop are available on Toshiba's website: http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/s...300/L305-S5955 and the video information I'll copy over to the thread.

Display Size*
    15.4" widescreen

Display Type*
    WXGA with TruBrite® Technology

Display Resolution*
    1280x800, Supports 720p content

Graphics Engine*
    Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M

Graphics Memory*
    128MB-830MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory
    Not entirely related, but another thing I've noticed... suspend doesn't work correctly for me. It doesn't bother me so much, I just shut it down instead, but it would be handy to be able to use that feature. Any ideas if it's related to this apparent video issue?

Re: Toshiba Satellite L305-S5955 display issues?

Hi
    I think it's fair to say that that suspend is still a bit of a work in progress The success or otherwise can depend on a number of factors including the Motherboard, so I would not venture to suggest a fix. By "suspend" do you mean suspend to Ram or Hibernate? I personally have more success with the latter on my dell inspiron 630m.

On the graphics question, have you tried the tweaks here?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

My personal experience is that they produced a vast difference to the performance of my graphics chip, the infamous i915. If you have not already done so, I would say it's definitely worth a look.

HTH

ian

Comment

Re: Toshiba Satellite L305-S5955 display issues?

I have a date this morning at the dealership to let the techs frell around with my car again, but I will explore those options outlined in that thread when I get home later. Thank you for the link! I'll report back on my results once I get a chance to try it out.

Comment

Working...
      X