This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new motherboard, no sound

My motherboard failed, so I got a new one, which has different on-board sound, which now doesn't work.
    If I boot Kubuntu from the install CD, the sound is fine, so it can work.
    I've searched this forum, gone through a couple of recommended debug sound problems wikis, and used aptitude to purge reinstall some stuff, no joy.

The alsa info script says (amongst much other stuff):
    !!Loaded ALSA modules
    snd_hda_intel
    !!PCI Soundcards installed in the system
    00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
    !!HDA-Intel Codec information
    Codec: Realtek ALC662 rev1

On first attempt to play something, a notification about HDA Nvidia (ALC662 digital) is not working flashes past.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

TIA, John
    Regards, John Little

Re: new motherboard, no sound

I don't have the solution for you, just workaround if you can't do any better.
    Buy some USB speakers, for example Logitech S-150 for maybe $10 would do. USB speakers have their own sound card. Before use it is necessary to prefer them in System Settings. For some programs they have to be plugged in from the start of the session.
    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

This guide is a good one, if you follow it step by step:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

Comment

I think this is no HW issue. I had the same problem (sort of), with my new MSI K9V-neo. Startup flashed "Pulse Audio does not work, falling back to HDA Nvidia (ALC 888 Analog)" No sound of what so ever. KMixer slides were all at 100% and all, but no sound. Finally I went simply K-Computer-System Settings-Multimedia , and preferred HDA Nvidia (ALC 888 Analog) over PulseAudio in every slot I could ever find. And Xine at backend. Then I pressed Apply and Test...VOILA! There was sound!

Give it a try, I hope this helps. tafi
        See here 1st.https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...Qs-amp-Answers

Comment

Working...
        X