This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sound

Just in case it is relevant. On my machine (8.04) when I click on KMix it appears to not launch, but after that it is actually available in the system tray. Not before that. When I click on the icon in the tray, it shows the master volume. When I click on the "mixer" in the little master volume window, it shows the whole mixer. When I first encountered this odd sequence, I too thought it didn't launch.

I prefer alsamixer anyway because I don't have to click things. What happens when you type "alsamixer" on the command line?

Comment

First, check your BIOS and see if the mobo sets the sound output to "Front Speakers". This works for Windows just fine, but Kbuntu's default output is to the "Back" speakers. Set your mobo sound output to "back speakers" and reboot. If that does't get you sound then continue on...

did you do an md5sum check on your Kubuntu ISO before you burned it? Did you do an md5sum check of the LiveCD after you burned it?

Without checking the md5sum status of the downloaded ISO BEFORE you burn it, and burning only an ISO that checks against the posted md5sum, AND checking the md5sum of the burned CD (burned at 10X or less), it doesn't matter what the install messages on any particular program is. We will be going in circles until you verify that you did indeed install from a CD that gave a good md5sum.

IF you know that you did indeed install from a verified CD (you can run your install CD in the LiveCD mode and take the option to test the CD without harming your installation, and if it says the CD is ok then we are clear to continue) you can try the following command sequences in a Konsole:

sudo apt-get -f install

repeat that command until you see nothing happening.

Then try

sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils start

If that doesn't work then do the following commands:

sudo apt-get install module-assistant
      sudo m-a update
      sudo m-a prepare
      sudo m-a a-i alsa

If those commands fail then you have one or more packages missing. Take careful notice of which packages the error message complains about and use "sudo apt-get install <packagename>" to install each one, replacing "<packagename>" with the actual name of each package, and without the quotes.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        Nomally, when you try to install an application the tool will tell you what went wrong if it couldn't install the app.

For example: if you issue "sudo apt-get install kmixer" you might get a message say "The latest version of Kmixer is already installed", or something like that. Or, "cannot install because of a dependency which cannot be installed" -- a dependency block. etc....

For a good installation you would see the list of repositories go by (in a konsole), then a statement as to what is being added or removed, before the prompt returns. You didn't see any of that?

mmm... at this point I would re-ask a question which you've overlooked, or I didn't see the answer to:

The obvious question: did you do an md5sum check on your Kubuntu ISO before you burned it? Did you do an md5sum check of the LiveCD after you burned it?
        oh i marked it for re-instaltion

Comment

Nomally, when you try to install an application the tool will tell you what went wrong if it couldn't install the app.

For example: if you issue "sudo apt-get install kmixer" you might get a message say "The latest version of Kmixer is already installed", or something like that. Or, "cannot install because of a dependency which cannot be installed" -- a dependency block. etc....

For a good installation you would see the list of repositories go by (in a konsole), then a statement as to what is being added or removed, before the prompt returns. You didn't see any of that?

mmm... at this point I would re-ask a question which you've overlooked, or I didn't see the answer to:

The obvious question: did you do an md5sum check on your Kubuntu ISO before you burned it? Did you do an md5sum check of the LiveCD after you burned it?
          i checked the disc first yes

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
            Just in case it is relevant. On my machine (8.04) when I click on KMix it appears to not launch, but after that it is actually available in the system tray. Not before that. When I click on the icon in the tray, it shows the master volume. When I click on the "mixer" in the little master volume window, it shows the whole mixer. When I first encountered this odd sequence, I too thought it didn't launch.

I prefer alsamixer anyway because I don't have to click things. What happens when you type "alsamixer" on the command line?
            it appears in the tray i have clicked but nothing and it dissappears after a few seconds just like it does with hulu desktop on wine

Comment

Why do you run Hulu desktop in WINE?

It works great in FireFox 3.5 for me. I just watched "Defying Gravity" in full screen and HD.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Why do you run Hulu desktop in WINE?

It works great in FireFox 3.5 for me. I just watched "Defying Gravity" in full screen and HD.
                back on topic...

P.S. it runs smoother in bad connections plus its much smoother user interface web browsers are to slow for video streaming purpose especially for mass video watching

Comment

i reformated now it works but its weaker

Comment

Working...
                  X