X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about installing new Hard Drive

System
    HP Pavilion 061 with dual boot, Kubuntu Jaunty 9.04 & Windows XP Professional SP3
    model#: PU061AV
    X-86 based PC
    AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+1.79GHz
    1.25 GB of RAM
    Video:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (dedicated)
    hard drive: Maxtor 6Y080M0, 60GB

I Have an 80 gig hardrive with a dual boot (WinXP & Kubuntu Jaunty). Space is running out. I would like to install a 200 gig HD, and make it my primary drive. I would need to move what is on my current drive to the newly installed. I would like to keep my 80 gig drive as a secondary drive for extra space.

Is the way I would like to do this going about this a bad idea? From what I read there are a few different ways of installing a new HD. The most explanatory instructions i have found are here http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3097293.0

I am making this post to receive some solid advice and direction on the matter. Any of your suggestions on how to begin this process will be appreciated.

The first thing I want to do is get thr correct idea of how to move what is on my current HD to the one I install, or if this is the best way to go about adding a new larger HD.
    System<br />HP Pavilion 061 with dual boot,&nbsp; Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 &amp; Windows XP Professional SP3<br />model#: PU061AV<br />X-86 based PC<br />AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+1.79GHz<br />2 GB of RAM<br />Video:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (dedicated)<br />hard drive: Maxtor 6Y080M0, 60GB

Re: Questions about installing new Hard Drive

Stealthbanana's writeup is a good one.

But, and this is more in the vein of "opinion" than advice -- I personally would just back up my data, and start with clean new installations of (first) Win XP, and then Kubuntu. There have been quite a few threads on the subject of copying an installation from an old hdd to the new hdd, and more often that not it appears to me that people are struggling longer and harder with the complexities caused by the ins and outs of accounting for the changes in the new hardware, than if they just plugged in the Alternate Install CD and went straight for the new installation. Windows installation will, of course, take longer than Kubuntu, although you may spend longer in post-installation configuring with Kubuntu.

Whatever -- don't forget to first check your BIOS, once your new drive is connected, and make sure the "mode" and "boot sequence" are set correctly for your intended configuration.

Comment

Thanks for the comments Dibl!

I will begin making my back-ups. Kubuntu is no problem to do another clean install. I have handy, the Jaunty CD that I made. As for windows, I bought my system with windows installed. I guess I can call them & ask for CD's to do an install on a new HD. Or maybe I should call HP, the system was purchased from HP.

Once I get my backups done & have windowsXP available to install, I will post again to acknowledge my standings on the issue.
      System<br />HP Pavilion 061 with dual boot,&nbsp; Kubuntu Lucid 10.04 &amp; Windows XP Professional SP3<br />model#: PU061AV<br />X-86 based PC<br />AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+1.79GHz<br />2 GB of RAM<br />Video:NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (dedicated)<br />hard drive: Maxtor 6Y080M0, 60GB

Comment

Originally posted by bhamm77

As for windows, I bought my system with windows installed.
        I wondered about that .

You know, if Win XP is installed on the 80GB drive, you could just restore the partition presently occupied by Kubuntu on that drive, and let it continue to be the one booted for Windows. Just a thought -- might simplify things to leave it where it is.

So you could install Kubuntu on the new drive, install Grub to the mbr of the old drive, and then boot into whichever OS you want. You'll have to tweak the /etc/fstab file to show the Windows drive, if you need to see it while running Linux.

Comment

You know, if Win XP is installed on the 80GB drive, you could just restore the partition presently occupied by Kubuntu on that drive, and let it continue to be the one booted for Windows.
          I feel that this set up would suit me just fine also. I would like to make it so that:

You'll have to tweak the /etc/fstab file to show the Windows drive, if you need to see it while running Linux.
          [possibly relevant info]Once I get the new HD installed and set up. I am planning on taking on the challenge of installing VMware, in order to run my windowsXP via Kubuntu. So I will probably need those windows installation CD's for that project anyway. Is that correct? I ask you because I remember reading in one of your posts that you have implemeted this on one of your systems.

Thanks for the direction. I will let you know how it goes trying to obtain some installation CD's for my XP OS.

As for beginning with restoring my 80 gig HD to XP only. Will I be able to do this using the LiveCD I currently have? Or do you recommend a something else.

Comment

Yes, you will need an original Win XP installation CD, to install it on a VM. Here's the How To:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3095339.0

I thought Win XP was a vanishing species, but here it is still available:

http://www.cdsfu.com/index.php?categoryID=87

Comment

I have checked on obtaining new CD's for installation from Hewlett Packard. The best they will do for me are recovery CD's. Are these the same as what I will need for doing a clean install on both my new HD & VM?

They say all you need are the recovery CD's to accomplish the install.

Comment

Fair warning -- I am NOT a certified MS anything .....

I do not believe a Recovery CD will do anything but restore the HP Windows installation that you already have, on the drive where it already is. That is a belief, not a proven fact -- maybe Mr. Google can help you firm it up. I believe it will not perform a new installation on a new hard drive.

I personally spent the $$ for a bona-fide MS OEM license, just so I don't ever have to think about it again.

Comment

Windows 7 Professional (Full version) will currently cost me 299.99. Plus extra if you want serious support. This is what I will buy if I make a new MS OS purchase. I'm not ready to make that purchase. It is my hope that they will have to come down on that price a bit with the growing popularity of Linux & Open Source. Anyway......

Here is what I have decided to do....

You know, if Win XP is installed on the 80GB drive, you could just restore the partition presently occupied by Kubuntu on that drive, and let it continue to be the one booted for Windows. Just a thought -- might simplify things to leave it where it is.

So you could install Kubuntu on the new drive, install Grub to the mbr of the old drive, and then boot into whichever OS you want. You'll have to tweak the /etc/fstab file to show the Windows drive, if you need to see it while running Linux.
                  I have a question about going this way.

Do I use my Kubuntu Live CD to restore the partition (presently occupied by Kubuntu) thus leaving my original XP installation on the 80 gig drive? Or should I get one of the available free programs such as g-parted?

Comment

I would advise making a GParted or Parted Magic Live CD, and use that to shrink the Kubuntu partition down to nothing (when you are ready). In other words, just delete the Kubuntu partition, then expand the Win XP partition all the way to the end of the drive, and it's all Win XP once again.

Comment

Just to offer encouragement and confirmation: We had a machine with XP installed from the store (much to my embarrassment) and we also wanted to keep the original OS and data. Our choice was what you are contemplating now, except we never did put any Linux on the original HDD. We simply put in a new drive and installed Kubuntu. Without any tweaks we were able to read and write to the old XP disk which now hardly ever gets used anymore anyway, but it is nice to have the functionality since we paid for it.

BTW, perhaps you are looking for specific features but why a 200GB disk? The sweet spot has gone up from that. At least in Canada now, a 500 GB disk can be gotten for around 60 bucks. If you haven't already bought it, check out NCIX. http://ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=109

Comment

Working...
                      X