This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(almost) Always a 1.0+ load on L305-S5939 (centrino) Toshiba Satellite

I tride dealing with this before as a software question (http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3104595.0), but apparently it's a hardware issue . . .

I have a Toshiba L305-S5939. It's a dual-core centrino, with 4G ram, and I'm using jaunty-kde3remix

The load is *always* over 1.0, both as reported by top and xload. At the same time, top (and ps) report no processes using significant cycles, and 90-99$ idle.

The heat generated and battery life suggest that the processor is running all-out, all the time.

I have had two occasions where the load dropped below 1. It stayed that way for a couple of days the first time, and for the day the second time.

It sure sounds like a software glitch, but . . .

Noting that the two other Toshiba L305's didn't behave this way, I swapped drives last night (with one from a L305-S5940, with an Athlon X2 processor). My installation worked fine with no load problems on the athlon machine, while the athlon's installation showed the load problem on mine!

Is it an issue with the centrino? Perhaps there's some package or kernel option I've overlooked that needs to be set to pacify it?

hawk, baffled again
    Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Re: (almost) Always a 1.0+ load on L305-S5939 (centrino) Toshiba Satellite

i had a very similar issue with my dell laptop (high load even when "idle" and very slow).
    as it turns out i ended up having to replace, the power distrubution board in my laptop. not saying that its your problem as mine is a P4, never the less the issue was very fustrating. in my case the proformance hit could also be seen on a live ubuntu cd , and after a fresh install of windows XP , kubuntu, and mac os, after seeing how every os i installed ran just as bad i started to look at the hardware in my laptop (lucky for me i have another of the same model for parts) i just started to swap boards till i found the messed up one.

i know its a bit diffrent then your problem but hopefully it helps a bit , i guess what i am trying to say is do you get the same load on a live disk ?
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
    X