This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash-drive Jaunty - how to recover from "error 22"

A number of weeks ago I installed Jaunty on a 4 gig flash drive, then installed my favorite applications. All was well ata that point.

Tonight I booted into the drive, and did a minor update on a program auxillary to language interpreter (ruby) I use a lot, which was one of the applications I'd earlier installed. I assumed the update would persist, but want to check it, so I shut down the system.

Now I cannot boot the flash drive. I just get an "error 22". I did no other updates than the one I mentioned. I had a normal termination before the boot failure. I've tried several times, always with the same result.

Is this recoverable? Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? The initial installation of the application program and the update write to the directories. I used "sudo apt-get..." for all.

I'm finding this flash drive business frustrating. They seem so fragile as to hardly be worth the both. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for any help!!!

Tom

Re: Flash-drive Jaunty - how to recover from "error 22"

until someone has a real solution for you, my two cents:

> Error 22 is serious; a partition reference has been lost. If there is a Grub menu to examine, try that first and see if some value (hdx,y) has been changed to an incorrect value.
    > With live-persistent flash drives, the business of updates is risky at best; this imo only. Strangely, I have not seen many, if any, definitive treatments on the subject (of updates). Wonder what pendrivelinux says? I have had mixed results with updates. Frustrating sometimes.
    > I flip-flop between deciding which is best when building a live-persistent flash drive: do it yourself (as my how-to's have done/attempted/purported); or use usb-creator (which is out of your control--possibly a good thing--and rests with the devs).
    > Nothing better than a good live-persistent flash drive that works; makes you feel you figured something out for awhile. Then again, when they don't work, makes you wonder Why not forget it and simply do a full, regular installation of the OS to a flash drive, perhaps with ext2 to minimize writes somewhat. As I've said elsewhere, Herman came to the same conclusion awhile back, though I haven't discussed this with him for several months. To protect against possible wearout (although who do you know who actually has that problem?!), make backups of your flash drive using dd-cloning--clone the whole flash drive now and then; and always backup data to an external media (just as one does with any OS installation).
    > Updates is the problem. I have not tested that with the sidux live-persistent flash drive; but other than that, the sidux live-persistent is PDG (pretty d*d good).
    > Not saying you/we should do it or that it is applies, but, of course, Puppy probably wins the live flash drive contest overall. I haven't visited that subject for a couple years; would imagine it has gotten even better. However, that said, lots of folks are relying on K/Ubuntu/sidux/etc flash drives. Only issue is, as I say, possibly that of updates.

fwiw, Tom
    --Mike

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'm also somewhat skeptical of the utility of a USB stick as a "live" OS. I have read what appear to be reliable reports of premature failure of the memory stick, after using it for some weeks or months as a live system, with updating -- especially when an ext3 filesystem was used. I personally had a 4GB stick that died under mysterious circumstances, and it did have a bootable Linux on it at the time ....

I have an 8GB stick that has a data partition on it for daily data transfer purposes, and also a bootable Linux for situations where I want an OS that doesn't touch the local hard drive. But I must admit I haven't used it a lot -- I mainly see it when I restart my computer and forget to pull it out of the USB connector first. The OS is installed on an ext2 filesystem, and the data partition is FAT32. I set it up with Firefox and other packages I want available, butI don't update it -- why seek to improve that which works?

"Fragile" is not a bad characterization, Tom.

As far as fixing it -- I'd go the "dd" route. That's the only way I've ever brought one back to life.

Comment

btw, if you DID actually lose a partition (i.e., it got misplaced or deleted), I'm real sure (but not 100%) that TestDisk can get it back for you. See the TestDisk site.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks guys! That a ton useful info. I really cannot imagine the Kubuntu lists would be without you two. Your support - information, experience, and advice - is a great resource!

Tom

Comment

Working...
          X