This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound issue

Hello everyone!! Here's my problem, I just installed Jaunty on my desktop that has a MSI k9vgm-v motherboard and uses ALC833 sound driver. The thing is that I can only use one sound application at the time. I went to system settings > multimedia and saw that have 4 options of sound for each application:
    HD VIA VT82xx (ALC883 Analog)
    HD VIA VT82xx (ALC883 Digital)
    PulseAudio
    HD VIA VT82xx, ALC883 Digital (IEC 958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output)

When I test all these options the only one that works is the first one, (Analog) and is the one prefered in all applications. I think my problem might be somewhere around this, can anyone help me to fix it??

Re: Sound issue

If you have working sound, there is nothing to fix.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

HMMMM I understand, but for example when I listen music in Amarok 2 I can't hear anything else, for example emesen, youtube in firefox, etc. And the only way to listen to these other application sounds is to close the session and re-enter and go to firefox > youtube. Once I open Amarok again everything disables and I can only hear the music from Amarok.

Comment

I hate to bump this topic, but I am having a similar problem, and I noticed this toipic went semi-unanswered.

I just switched from Ubuntu and this problem is presenting itself. I haven't really installed anything different from Ubuntu to kubuntu, so I don't know why this is happening. this is not happen on Ubuntu for 9.04 OR 9.10.

My current version is kubuntu 9.10 x64.

output of lspci -v | grep Audio:
        Code:
        jguy@Jguy-PC:~$ lspci -v | grep Audio
        00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP72XE/MCP72P/MCP78U/MCP78S High Definition Audio (rev a1)
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 836c                        
            Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 21                  
            Memory at f7e78000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]                  
            Capabilities: <access denied>                                
            Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel                               
            Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
        Everytime I'm playing something in any music player, another sound (such as the aMSN or Pidgin notification sounds of someone logging in and out), the sound cuts out of Amarok. I have to restart whatever made the sound AND Amarok in order to hear sound out of Amarok again; that is until the sound stops in Amarok because I got a notification sound.

It seems that more than one application can only use my sound card at a time. If the sound cut out for a second to play the notification jingle I wouldn't mind that as much, but it seems if an application takes over the sound card, it keeps control of the sound card until the application picks up another PID (aka is restarted)

Like I said, this never happened in the same build of ubuntu 9.10 x64, so I'm not understanding what's wrong here.

I have restricted extras installed as well.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Comment

Working...
        X