This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI Radeon X800 Dual Monitor setup

I have a system that I am trying to install any version of Linux that will work after the updates to the kernel are installed. Here is my situation:

My system has an XFX GeForce 8200 Quad Core motherboard, Nvidia GeForce 8200 onboard video, Nvidia High Def sound and an ATI Radeon X800 PCIe video card.

Installed Suse 11.1 worked well with the ATI card, I got dual monitors working however after running Suse updates the High def sound quits working.

Installed Kubuntu 9.04 got Sound working, which I might get the info on it and switch back to Suse.... because I can't get ATI card to go Dual Monitor.

I installed Kubuntu tried loading the legacy Proprietary drivers (9.3 and 9.4), ran through several forums ( I am sure if you have an ATI card you have been to several of the same ones I have been to) to get that up and running. I eventually got the ATI card not detected running the aticonfig --initial command.

Formatted drive, Installed Windows 7 got dual monitors working fine using ATI drivers So I know the card works.

Installed Kubuntu again fresh on a second partition, it installed along side Windows 7 fine. Running on the Open source ati drivers. Nothing listed in xorg.conf specifying ati / radeon or fglrx. xorg.conf is very clean.

Problem is I have sound but would like to either configure the open source drivers for dual display or go back to Suse and figure out the Sound driver problem

I read that the next version of Ubuntu or all the linux distros are going to have better support for ATI cards natively? Is this true do I wait for 9.10 of Ubuntu?

Can I get a very clean run on configuring my ATI Radeon x800 card to run dual monitors, at this point it can be bigdesktop, 2 seperate X windows. both can be running 1280x1024. Both monitors support it.

There was an easy installer for Suse that worked well, was just hoping Kubuntu had a similar easy installer to use.

Re: ATI Radeon X800 Dual Monitor setup

Originally posted by bwdave
    I read that the next version of Ubuntu or all the linux distros are going to have better support for ATI cards natively? Is this true do I wait for 9.10 of Ubuntu?
    ati is now working with the open source community, as a result the drivers should get better..

duel monitors w/ ati is a night mare atm
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
    X