This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP G60 overheats and shuts down

I have an HP G60-243cl laptop and have Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty dual booted along side the evil "Vista". After a little while of running linux my computer heats up and shuts down. If I then start Windows it does the same, However, if I run Windows I don't have this issue. I'd really like to remove vista from my computer, but I fear that this hardware problem would render my computer completely useless.
    Is there a setting that I am not setting correctly? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any help is appreciated.

Scott

Re: HP G60 overheats and shuts down

Hi Scott, welcome to our virtual home

Could you please start by looking at this thread and see how much it helps?
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3105678

Best,
    Leo

Comment

Thanks Leo,
      As I was posting a response my computer shut down again. Oh...when I say "shut down" I mean it goes bleep and then the screen goes blank and the computer is off; not it goes through the splash screen etc. I will try your suggestion tomorrow and see if it helps. I also tried this from the Ubuntu forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...Fetc%2Fmodules
      but my computer still overheated and shut down...Bleep!

Comment

Right, this is a typical thermal shutdown. I posted a list of suggestions in the other thread, and other people did so, it's definitely worth going through them and reporting back. Best luck!

Comment

The G60 has a setting in the bios for "fan always on". I turned that off at first but noticed severe overheat problems so re-enabled it. No problems since. Fan doesn't actually run constantly, so I assume it enables hardware control of the fan as opposed to software control. Typical temps with dynamic CPU set are 42-48 and 47-55 with wide open. Hope this helps a bit

namopereht

Comment

Working...
          X