This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another sound issue: audio on headphone, not on speakers

Yezz, I have sound on my laptop: Olidata Stainer W2800, with ATI ITX SB400 audio
    But....., only on the headphone-jack. Whatever I try (and, yes, I've played a lot with Kmix and Alsamixer), I don't get any sound out of the speakers >
    Anybody with the golden tip?

Jan.

Re: Yet another sound issue: audio on headphone, not on speakers

have you tried to change the "master" channel in kmix?, you can only access this via right clicking on the sys tray icon.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Yes, I have. As I said: I've played a lot with kmix and alsamixer. I've made kmix as big as possible (showing all possible channels). Tried every channel as master, muted all kinds of channels (I have to mute "External Amplifier" to get sound at all).
      So I don't think the problem can be solved with kmix or alsamixer.

Jan.

Comment

I may be having similar issues, I don't know.

For me, Amarok etc will think it's playing, but I cant get sound out of anywhere

however! mpg123 will play mpgs if I have my speakers plugged into my Soundblaster MICROPHONE port. Although it's full of static noise

drivers are installed and should be fine, this happened to me after I upgraded to kde 4.3, so I really don't think this is a driver problem.

I tried upgrading my alsa as described in another thread, but that didn't help.

If I do change the master channel in KMix, what should I change it to? I have about 12 options, it's currently set to IEC958 Front. And do I need to restart kde every time I change one?
        help!

Comment

Originally posted by jwebster8
          however! mpg123 will play mpgs if I have my speakers plugged into my Soundblaster MICROPHONE port. Although it's full of static noise
          now is that not the damnedest thing....

then since you have fiddled with both kmix and alsamixer, next step
          open system settings
          and go to multimedia try some diffrent options there (use the test button, see if you get ne thing at all)

also the speakers, are you sure they work, are turned on , pluged in, etc.... sometimes we tend to over look the simple things....

Comment

Ok, i have 3 things listed in the Multimedia...in this order at the moment

AudigyLS [SB0310](CA0106)
            CA0106, CA0106 (Side Speakers)
            Pulse Audio

When I test the first 2, it just sits there with the test button grayed out for a few seconds
            When I test the Pulse Audio, it pops up a message that says its not working and will fall back to Audigy...

In the Backend tab, I have Xine deinterlacing, DVD checked for the media, and use_vo_driver for the Deinterlacing method.

I hesitate to fool around with those

Also, the speakers should be okay because I get sound out of them when I run the mpg123

Comment

you may want to look for more info about your audigy card. i seam to remember reading that audigys have an issue with alsa.

Comment

Well, it was working fine before I upgraded to 4.3, so did alsa change in that update?

I still think I have some settings screwed up somewhere, or something was uninstalled that needs to be installed...

I don't want to reinstall my system, but I bet if I did, sound would work.

Comment

i am not sure if alsa changed at all in that update (i have been running 4.3 since the first beta)

dibl has a good a faq about common issues (sound being one of them item #6)
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0
                  perhaps that will be of some help

Comment

I solved my sound problem at least, and as expected, it was a retarded settings thing...

I got the clue from here...
                    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/310179

While it wasn't exactly the same, I went into the kmix channel settings and found the entry for IEC958 and muted it. Sound instantly came pouring out of my speakers.

seriously people...wtf? This is the kind of thing that makes linux look retarded.

Comment

yeah. i bet is much better then using headphones.

Originally posted by jwebster8
                      seriously people...wtf? This is the kind of thing that makes linux look retarded.
                      there is a known bug about it ? if not maybe you open a bug on it so it get fixed. after all that is how open source things like kubuntu work..

Comment

Working...
                      X