This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound oddities... <-- Super noob!

Decided to try 9.04 for my first real attempt at getting into linux. The simplicity at least visually eases the transition. I searched and found many "no sound" problems but none that matched what i'm seeing.

Problem - No sound.

Tried a aplay command in terminal.

tadaen@Osmosis:~$ aplay -l
    aplay: device_list:217: no soundcards found...

However tried lspci in terminal and get this. Copied the audio controller part only.

02:0f.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24 [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller (rev 01)
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
    I/O ports at d900 [size=32]
    I/O ports at d800 [size=128]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel modules: snd-ice1724

Tried opening Kmix as others have suggested, but upon attempting to open it puts something on the taskbar as if its open. The mouse cursor changes with its custom little icon for an hourglass. nothing opens, and after awhile the one on the taskbar dissapears as well as if it never happened.

Have tried reinstalling kmix a couple of times with 0 results, the app fails to open. Although from the looks of the first command the whole thing is confused in regards to wether or not i have a soundcard. Hopeless noob i am, although i did manage to do btnx from source

Re: Sound oddities... &lt;-- Super noob!

There's a FAQ on sound troubleshooting in the link in my signature -- it will lead you to the Ubuntu troubleshooting guide and other resources.

Comment

appreciate the quick reply, just found your link in another thread and am currently building alsa source as we type. 50%...

Comment

followed what i could find. still nothin, alsamixer wont load up in the console so i know something isnt right there.
        still get the same result from aplay -l . also Kmix doesn't load anything up, wondering if its a bugged install.

tadaen@Osmosis:~$ aplay -l
        aplay: device_list:217: no soundcards found...

is getting frustrating

Comment

Working...
        X