This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

monitor not being detected

My display is stuck on 640x480 resolution and I would love to be able to switch it to the larger resolution that I can handle in Windows and could handle in a previous install of Kubuntu.

My monitor is an Acer AL2216W
    I installed the 180.44 Nvidia driver for my Geforce GTS 250 video card. Nvidia X Server Settings recognizes both the card and the driver.
    Under "Display Configuration" it says my display model is "DFP-0 on GPU-0" which means nothing to me and there are no other options available to be selected.

Previously I have used envyng to get drivers, but this time Kubuntu's "Hardware Drivers" seemed to properly install 180.44 so I used it instead.

How might I be able to fix this? I appreciate any help in advance.

[EDIT] While trying to install, errors occured until I turned safe graphics on for the installation. If that is related I hope it inspires a solution.

Re: monitor not being detected

Well, yes.

You may want to make some trivial change from the Nvidia Control Panel (whatever it is called), and save it. Then have a normal reboot.

If this doesn't fix it, you can try now to run the "fix graphics" option when you boot in Rescue Mode.

Hopefully the one or the other will fix things.

Comment

yeah, enter:
      Code:
      sudo nvidia-settings
      in the konsole, and change the resolution. See if that helps.

mm0
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
        yeah, enter:
        Code:
        sudo nvidia-settings
        in the konsole, and change the resolution. See if that helps.

mm0
        Yeah, I had to do that. Otherwise, when you try to save your settings to xorg.conf, it won't work, because the app doesn't have permission to change a system config file.

Isn't there some way one can set up a menu icon to run an app with "sudo" automagically? I realize I'd still have to put in my password, but I'm tired of always having to open a terminal window to make any changes to the display settings. I've tried editing the command on the K menu to invoke "sudo nvidia-settings" instead of plain "nvidia-settings," but it doesn't work. The Nvidia control panel never launches.

Comment

Originally posted by Objekt
          Isn't there some way one can set up a menu icon to run an app with "sudo" automagically? I realize I'd still have to put in my password, but I'm tired of always having to open a terminal window to make any changes to the display settings. I've tried editing the command on the K menu to invoke "sudo nvidia-settings" instead of plain "nvidia-settings," but it doesn't work. The Nvidia control panel never launches.
          Yep, you drag the menu entry to the plasma background, so now you have an icon. Tou right click on it, "Icon Settings -> Application -> Command", and add sudo. This will only work for the idon on the desktop, but it's better than nothing. If it doesn't work fine, you can go to Advanced and make it run on a terminal, so you can see error messages ...

Comment

I was going to post to create a .desktop file...same basic solution...I'm thinking that sudo should be changed to kdesudo, to be safe though. I should have stated that in the original post, but mis-typed it.

mm0
            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Yes, yes, it should be kdesudo! And yes, it is the same solution but I always prefer the easy way, especially when recommending things in a Forum (otherwise, it looks like we are in the stone age as compared to other operating systems )

Comment

lol! Yeah, I like simple!

Comment

Working...
                X