Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved] Microsoft Natural Keyboard hangs (briefly stops responding)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Microsoft Natural Keyboard hangs (briefly stops responding)

Hi All,
    I have a M$ Natural Ergonomic Keyboard and a corresponding mouse (Desktop 7000). I think the keyboard is equivalent to the 4000-series, only that this one is wireless.

While the mouse works perfectly fine and reliable, the keyboard sometimes hangs and does not respond, sometimes for up to 10 seconds or so. This is really annoying!!! During that time the receiver dongle does not show any signal from the keyboard, but the mouse continues to work fine (they have the same receiver).

Also I can not figure out how to make the 5 extra "Favorites" keys work. xev simply does not show any reaction on them (the others, like "calculator" respond as they are supposed to).

Does anyone know how to fix that? Does anyone experience the same problems (in particular with regard to the delay/hanging)? Or is my keyboard broken and I should return it (it's only a couple of weeks old)?

Any useful comments are appreciated!
    Thanks!

Re: Microsoft Natural Keyboard hangs (briefly stops responding)

if the receiver is close to the monitor, try moving it. The mouse and keyboard will be on different frequencies, so it is possible that one is being interfered with, and the other isn't.

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

What you say sounds reasonable, in principle.

I have two LCD monitors on my desk. I connect the receiver dongle directly to the PC tower/case (front and back doesn't make a difference. The tower is under the desk and there is less than 1m to the keyboard.

But I have a USB-hub; I will use that and move it around, to see if it makes a difference.

Comment

P/S: I also noticed that is generally gets worse as the workday progresses... i.e. the frequency and duration of hangs increase, the more longer I type.

Comment

Thanks mm0, looks like you were right!
          I'm using a USB extension cable to place the receiver next to the keyboard, and I never had these issues again!
          After almost a week of testing it is probably save to assume that this was the reason, i.e. signal strength and interference from other devices.
          After all this is a shared office and there are a number of computers and devices.

My conclusion is that wireless devices may experience interference in crowded offices, and should probably be avoided...

Thanks again, muzicman0!

Comment

Re: [Solved] Microsoft Natural Keyboard hangs (briefly stops responding)

that's what I love about this forum! not only do I get help, but I get to help others!

So glad it worked out!

mm0
            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Working...
            X