X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ALMOST SOLVED] VGA output and HDMI input

Hallo everybody.
    I am sure this is an easy question for most people and possibly already answered somewhere (I could not find it though, apologies if so).

I need to connect my good old laptop with VGA output to a new Full HD 1080p television. I know that the output of the VGA is analogic (even though I can set the kind of output to very high standards, as far as I remember, from the Intel integrated 855GM chipset). I do not want to use a VGA to VGA connection because if I remember correctly from my the Toshiba TV manual, the input for VGA is limited below the full HD standard.
    2 questions for the more experts than me:

1) I assume I need the VGA to HDMI converter to have a full HD picture, with the maximum definition, on my TV. Will that be equivalent to a HDMI to HDMI connection of more modern laptop computers?

2) how do I set up a switch if possible on my Kubuntu 9.04 to switch between the 2 screens? Or, could also be the case, how do I extend the screen onto the TV?

Many thanks in advance for your precious help.

matteo

Re: VGA output and HDMI input

Ok, I am not an expert but since no one answers:

1. I use the VGA output of my lowly eepc 701 connected to my VIZIO HDTV
    http://www.walmart.com/Vizio-32-LCD-...32L/ip/5623472

Granted, this is just 720p, but looks fantastic. I connect to the RGB input port.

2. I control the external monitor from System Settings -> Display. It works ok but not perfect (i can;t get two different resolutions, they both use the highest, and so far i could only work on mirrored mode, not on extended mode)

3. I think if you have binary drivers, the NVIDIA or ATI control panels give you control over this.

Comment

If...I say again...IF your laptop vga output supports DVI, then all you need is a vga to dvi to hdmi cable/adapter. No special config, the card should just work. Most video cards lately have this feature, and the adapters are cheap.

Mm0
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Thanks for your answers: so I suppose that the DVI output is available from what I can read here (not an expert on these technical aspects):
        http://www.intel.com/support/graphic...52gm/index.htm

So, if I buy a Male-to-something VGA to DVI adapter and then a DVI to HDMI cable I should be able to get the maximum resolution?
        Is this what you mean?
        Thanks for helping out.
        matteo

Comment

I didn't look at the link, but yeah, that should work. DVI and HDMI video are the same protocals, just different connector...what you will be lacking is the audio that hdmi provides, but that is easy to remedy.

Mm0
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Many thanks. In the course of the weekend I will let you guys know how it goes and mark the title of the post ... appropriately.

Comment

Quick check before I spend 40 quids on a cable that I will not be able to use. Everybody tells me that VGA port can only carry ANALOG signals, whereas the DVI to HDMI cables can get digital signals only (because HDMI cables can only do so). How does that reconcile with the latest statement that specific ports could support DVI standards? These would be analog (DVI, as far as I understand, can be DVI-A, DVI-D or DVI-I, i.e. analog, digital or both signals (depending on the 2 ends).

Any further confirmation of the statement on VGA and HDMI?
              As I say, the 855GM seems to be able in theory to give DVI output and, at least via windows as I easily see, also very high outputs through the VGA port.

Thanks
              matteo

Comment

I cant speak to your specific hardware. What I can tell you is that I routinely (at least once a week) use our desktop that only has VGA out and connect it to a DVI digital input. Most newer video cards are designed for this, and when it sense the DVI converter, it auto changes to DVI.

Again, I can't guarantee it will work for you, but it works on my nVidia 6600, which is actually about 3 years old. also works on other cards I have tried.

mm0

Comment

Unfortunately I tried and it does not seem to be the case for mine (which is older than 3 years for sure).
                  The fact is that, for instance under windows, the Intel integrated senses the screen on the other end (albeit connected via a VGA-DVI-HDMI path, but the screen on the tv invariably remains blue (as if there is no input from the laptop).

So I am a bit confused. Possibly, the signal on the cable just remains analog... and as such the TV does not pick it.
                  You mentioned a converter...do you mean an analog to digital converter or just a plug adaptor (for the different "shape")? In case the answer is a converter (more expensive than an adaptor), then everything becomes clear! Otherwise, it must be like you mention.

Thanks

Matteo

Comment

sorry to hear that. Don't know what else to try, it just works for me.

Comment

Re: VGA output and HDMI input [ALMOST SOLVED]

I had to go back to a normal VGA (15 pin) cable. So it really depends on the video output.
                      For reference, my Intel is a 855GM and the laptop is a Toshiba A30-303 P4 3.0 GHz.
                      Thanks all for the advices...will have more questions!

matteo

Comment

Working...
                      X