X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard not working in KDE

Hey Everyone

So today as I turned on my computer everything seemed to be normal. I logged in as usual but then as soon as I logged in I hit F12 as usual to bring up yakuake to do an update and upgrade. This didn't work. I did some more testing and found out that my keyboard will not work anywhere in KDE or as soon as KDE is started. I am not sure which version of KDE I am using so if someone could tell me how to do that it would be greatly appreciated, as i figure that will help all of you out more.

Anyways as I was searching around more I found that my keyboard will work through the time that I log into the KDE session. If I decide to go into a GNOME or just plain Terminal session everything works out well for some reason unknown to me.

The keyboard is "wireless" it connects to a dongle that is shared with the mouse which is currently plugged into the 2 PS2 ports as it stopped working as USB some time ago.

I tend to be a little verbose so
    Summary:

Up until today wireless keyboard worked in kubuntu 9.04 Today it would not work only in a KDE session but works in a Gnome session.

Thanks, I appreciate any help you all can give me. Its really why I stayed with kubuntu rather than putting windows back on.

PJ

Re: Keyboard not working in KDE

Hi PJ

1st off, if you open a KDE App, Help -> ABout will show you the version of KDE

Suggestions:

1. What happens if you reboot?
    2. What if you disconnect and reconnect the dongle while in KDE, does it help?
    3. Have you tried System Settings -> Keyboard and mouse?
    4. Maybe System Settings -> Desktop -> Disable Destop Effects temporarily just in case to debug?

HTH!

Comment

It's going around:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3105248.0

I think it's something going on with X.org and video drivers, in KDE 4.2.xx.

Log in to KDE (the "keyboard disabler"), and then do Alt-SysRq R S E. This should kick you out to the tty1 console, and you may observe a startup error message there. If so, what does it say?

Also, what is your video driver?

Comment

So i did the alt-sys req RSE and i didnt see any error messages. I did look at the other thread and saw that there was a post where someone had their .kde folder become corrupted. and every once in a while i do get an error thrown that says something along the lines of "KDESUDO no args will now quit" is the jist of it, not sure what that is. when I get it again I will pass it your way.

Another note, the onscreen keyboard doesn't work either, I don't know if this helps at all or just makes it more confusing.

Video driver is the Kubuntu reccomended NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver version 180.44 for my video card which is the MSI NX8600GT-T2D256E OC GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card (copied and pasted from newegg)

Comment

Well, I had 4 questions/suggestions above, how about those?

Comment

Working...
          X