X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intel Video troubleshooting/performance improvement link

Originally posted by marcopl
    Originally posted by tnorris
    I don't know why this didn't occur to me before when we were discussing this but if you just make sure the fixmtrr.sh script is owned by root and then make it suid then it can be run using kde autostart and it will have write access to /proc/mtrr (since the script will run as root).

For those that aren't clear what I mean, you can do:
    Code:
    sudo chown root /usr/local/bin/fixmtrr.sh
    sudo chgrp root /usr/local/bin/fixmtrr.sh
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/fixmtrr.sh
    sudo chmod u+s /usr/local/bin/fixmtrr.sh
    I think I prefer this solution. It's not quite as secure as doing the sudo every time you login, but it's better than making /proc/mtrr group writable.
    ok. lets try this ( i did not try the gdm thingy ). lets see what happens.
    did not work bro.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      All I did was copy fixmtrr.sh from my download directory to /usr/local/bin using "kdesudo Dolphin" and then right mouse on it and click the "Properties" option from the dialog that popped up. Then I clicked on the Permissions tab in that dialog, and on it I checked the execute checkbox.

Then I opened KMenu --> System --> System settings. On that dialog I chose the "Advanced" tab. Under it I clicked on the "AutoStart" Icon. On it's dialog I clicked on the "Add Script" button and then browsed to /usr/local/bin/fixmtrr.sh and selected it. On the combo box to the right of the script file I selected I selected "Pre-KDE startup".

No problems.
      the only difference i can see is that i selected 'startup' in the autostart. i will try this and report back.

Comment

I've been observing two type of lockups recently. Unfortunately, I don't have much good information to share. The first log output I got was from today...

[ 2636.368884] [drm:i915_get_vblank_counter] *ERROR* trying to get vblank count for disabled pipe 1

I'm running the bleeding edge configuration currently. I'm on kernel 2.6.30, latest xorg. I hit the error above when trying to launch a VirtualBox VM. It's not reproducible but VirtualBox does seem to cause stability issues now (version 3.0.4). I was able to recover from the above error by restarting kdm.

When I return from suspend (not always) and once on a logout I observed a total lockup: keyboard and mouse clicks stop responding. I'm not able to recover. When it happens I have to kill the power and restart. Nothing in the logs yet. It could be related to power management in some way, not sure.

Cheers, UK
        linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

Working...
        X