Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI mobility radeon 9000 and which driver?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATI mobility radeon 9000 and which driver?

This question could also regard the ATI 7500 mobile card as well.

But, I am hoping for responses specifically related to the ATI mobility radeon 9000 and your options in Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty. What is recommended or what works and what doesn't? Is there any fixes planned or does one or more drivers already work?

I have tried to research/google this but not having much luck yet.

I'm curious because I was considering installing 9.04 on my Thinkpad which has the ATI mobility radeon 9000 card.

I had the impression that there would be problems (freezing?) unless you disable composing (effects). That is the only workaround at the moment or does that only apply when using certain drivers?

I figure you have to use the open source radeon drivers with this mobile card?

If you can provide any further info and/or recommendations, it would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Re: ATI mobility radeon 9000 and which driver?

Mobility 7500, 9000 series use the opne source drivers , not compatible with ATI's fglrx so it is your only choice.

I have here on my Compaq Evo a mobility 7500, and it works pretty well considering its age and lack of memory (32mb)

There are different tweaks to try in your xorg.conf that can boost performance if you like to use kwin effects: look here
    That page has way too much info, most of it not necessary for you, but at the bottom, there are some tweaks listed, and some links that have more tweaks and info

particularly, you can see information specific to your Thinkpad model over on ThinkWiki which has tons of useful thinkpad specific Linux information. there should be some thinkpad-specific tweaks available there you may want to try

I have never seen any xorg freezing on this laptop with 8.10 or 9.04 , though I did see some artifacts when opening the kmenu and other minor graphical glitches until I tried different xorg tweaks. But these 'little' problems in no way impacted usability or stability

I would check out how the livecd runs on the laptop, as it will be using the same video driver so you can get a decent feel of how it will look and work

Comment

Working...
    X