Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get Wireless Connection to work... please help...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get Wireless Connection to work... please help...

OK, so I'm wanting to get rid of Windows Vista off of my new laptop and I want to put Kubuntu on in it's place. So I picked up the Installation/Live-CD ISO image and burned it to disk to try out the Live version and see if there were any obvious hardware problems before I make the changeover.

Now here's the problem... I know that my wireless reciever/transmitter thing is working because it can find my wireless router on a scan for available wireless networks, and I can get it to connect using Ubuntu (which I tried to compare Gnome vs. KDE), but I can't get it to connect in Kubuntu, it keeps telling me that the connection failed even though I'm using the same settings as I did in Ubuntu to get it working there. I did notice that the Ubuntu configuration dialog allowed me to specify that the connection should be available to all users while the Kubuntu dialog did not have that option, and that may or may not have something to do with it.

So here's the question... How can I get this to work in the Live-CD version of the OS to make sure that it will work? Can I use some other configuration system besides the default one that's available through the System Preferences system?

Thanks,
    Drake

Re: Can't get Wireless Connection to work... please help...

Do you have a hidden essid? If so, there is currently an issue with this on kubuntu jaunty. I had to show my essid to connect.

Comment

No, the SSID broadcast is not hidden/disabled.

Comment

This guy reviewed Kubuntu 9.4 and had the same problem check out paragraph 8
        http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=293
        He had to install WICD to get a network connection.
        I have a Broadcom chip and it was a nightmare in 8.10, but works like a charm in 9.4. I guess it is hit and miss for these still.

Anyway it looks like you may still be able to connect with WICD.

Comment

OK, so I'm planning now to install Ubuntu and then install Kubuntu over top of it by installing the "kubuntu-desktop" package.

Since the wireless works under Ubuntu, and basically what I'll be doing is using Ubuntu with KDE GUI and KDE programs, that might allow the wireless to work anyway. And if not, I can always make an effort with WICD.

Thanks for the excellent and informative post, Jook_roberts, I appreciate it greatly

Drake

Comment

Glad to help. Post back and let us know if that works.

After your idea of installing Ubuntu first, it made me wonder if you could just install the Gnome network manager in Kubuntu and avoid the KDE network manager all together.

It sucks when you generally prefer one desktop over another, but one really basic thing (like wireless) doesn't work on your computer. Been there.

Comment

Working...
            X