Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No sound with Audigy 2 ZS in JJ alpha 4 - alsa missing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound with Audigy 2 ZS in JJ alpha 4 - alsa missing?

I just installed alpha 4 of JJ. (I was in II before, with KDE 4.1.) My sound card is definitely not working. I've tried it with system test sounds and with amarok. I notice that the backend in system settings is Zine. It seems to me I used Alsa in II.

Alsamixer is running, but no alsa process is.running. According to Adept, alsa-base, alsa-utils and linx-sound-base are installed. No Xine process is running either.

Help, please.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: No sound with Audigy 2 ZS in JJ alpha 4 - alsa missing?

The problem was there when I used the live CD or when I installed a small system on my disk.

I have now installed alpha 4 on my production system and -- I have no idea why -- the sound works fine. It must have installed something more.

Does the installation take into account data /home/user if an old one is defined? If so, that could explain it.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

D#$n! I just did an upgrade of the system (via apt-get upgrade) and now the sound is gone again!

I rebooted and got an ominous message saying the system couldn't find the Audigy 2 sound card. It then asked if I wanted to delete it. I did not!

So what to do?

Comment

Well, it is clear I don't understand what is happening.

I did apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade again, it installed a half-dozen libraries and now the sound is back.

Did I say bizarre?

Comment

I can easily believe that. I've also had similar results with the live CD then different results on installing and even different results if installed directly from the CD, or, running the live CD first, then installing from the live CD.

Same with the updates. Something works, get an update, it stops working, next update, its back to working. Or the other way around. Keeps you guessing.

Now, I'm mostly using the alternate CD for encryption during install, but I still use the live CD for other people.
          HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

I have same card and with hardware analog mixer i cant hear anything i have to deactivate it from alsamixer but without it sound quality doesnt seem so great as before when i could play music with it on.I hope they fix it for final version.

Comment

Working...
            X