X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Jaunty + Nvidia + Plasma = xorg lockup

Hey,

I just installed the latest Jaunty build and then followed instructions to install the nvidia driver using envyng -t, and now it works but freezes X as soon as plasma starts.

I know X is working properly because failsafe works and glxinfo shows that the nvidia driver is working. Glxgears works as well.

Someone has already posted a bug for this but I'm wondering if there is a fix yet, as I am an OSS 3d game graphics developer and really want the KDE4.2 fixes so that I can go on with my life...

(I have a seperate disk with stable kubuntu64, but I need a working 32bit build, and I wanted to see if ext4 would solve some of my data loss problems with file transfer on ext3 which is another issue... but I digress)

Re: Jaunty + Nvidia + Plasma = xorg lockup

EnvyNT isn't claiming to support 9.04 yet, is it? Probably you need to use the downloaded Nvidia driver installer, not EnvyNG.

I'm speaking hypothetically, here -- I haven't screwed up the courage to install Jaunty yet, myself. :-X

Comment

people in the ubuntu forums are claiming it works, and it does download and install the driver. As I said the driver works. The problem is with plasma.

Comment

If glxgears runs, one would certainly think you have the driver installed correctly.

:P

I don't know what to think. I guess I would run EnvyNG, choose "remove the driver", then try running the downloaded driver installer. But, I'm not optimistic that this will solve your issue.

Comment

I figured it out ..

I knew that Plasma needed the composite option in the nvidia driver but I just figured that the package installer would deal with it when it changes xorg.conf. So I changed it myself with..
          Code:
          Section "Device"
              Identifier   "Configured Video Device"
              Driver "nvidia"
                  Option "RenderAccel"  "true"
                  Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true
          EndSection

Section "Extensions"
              Option "Composite"   "Enable"
          EndSection
          .. and that did it..

Comment