This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subtitle in dragon player not working

Dragon player has the subtitle menu item but it is useless as it remains always not working.

Re: Subtitle in dragon player not working

could you please expand on what you mean by the term "subtitles"?

I see the "title" on the bottom left of the player for a .flv video.

I found this in the help manual:

This menu (the subtitle) is active if there are any subtitles available from the currently playing movie. Note that it may take a few seconds of playback before the subtitles become available.

I don't see a subtitle for the video, are you talking about playing a dvd movie that has subtitles?

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

If, however, you mean the subtitles in a DVD, I tried two DVDs in a DVD playing device which does work and could not get two DVDs (Mortal Kombat and War of the Worlds(Tom Cruise) to play at all, in fact I had to go to the file structure, and basically Dragon Player crashed.

Now, in the first video_ts.vob did have the subtitle tick mark ticked it just didn't play either of the videos.

So, I guess that my particular(latest meerkat) version does "see" the sections of the DVD and does "see" the function for subtitles it won't play the dvd.

LIBDVDREAD4 is installed on my system, the libdvdcss has been left behind. so dunno.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

well, I've seen this before.

A simple way to get whatever you need in terms of codecs etc. to play a DVD is to install VLC. Now, I have not run Dragon Player before and it may, probably does, use other stuff, but the situation is kind of like Amarok Xine, install it and it drags in a bunch of other stuff and other players then work.

So, I installed VLC and still zippy do.

Then I RESTARTED.... lol....restarting is something that just seems to help every once in a while.

And... a plain vanilla non-encrypted dvd from a 5 dollar bunch of detective movies fromt the fifties nows plays just fine in VLC but not Dragon.

War of the Worlds does not play in Dragon either. so...a small step.

I imagine that a very experienced person will drop in and say...

"oh just do this" and it will work so I will now BOW OUT!! lol and let the more experienced people do that!

After I have already wasted a lot of bits and bytes on servers! lol

sorry I didn't help much, but I'll also be fiddling offline to get something to work.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Sorry for the delay. My question is simply related to the inability of dragon to load a .srt, .sub or whatever external subtitle file in a dvx or mkv movie file. I did not have opportunity to valutate a dvd disc as I am running kubuntu on netbook.

Comment

Originally posted by svigno
            Sorry for the delay. My question is simply related to the inability of dragon to load a .srt, .sub or whatever external subtitle file in a dvx or mkv movie file. I did not have opportunity to valutate a dvd disc as I am running kubuntu on netbook.
            As far as I know (also from my experiences), Dragonplayer still can't show (external) .srt or .sub subtitles. If you want to use a pure KDE videoplayer with external .srt and .sub subtitle support and yet easy to use, I suggest you install kaffeine.

Code:
            sudo apt-get install kaffeine
            Of course other players such as VLC, etc. have a lot of options which are useful but I always found them bloated and confusing. Also they have a lot of dependencies, which will take more HD space.

Regards.

Comment

I don't if it is my "subjective" view but for me kaffeine appears a little bit sluggish compared to dragon... as to vlc-player I know it is full featured video-player, but too much "heavy" for my point of view. Let's wait to the new implementation for dragon..

Comment

I wonder why dragon player is the default media player in KDE if still does not support external subtitles!

Comment

Working...
                X