This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

firefox 3.5?

Is firefox 3.5 available for kubuntu 8.10 - if not, will it be?

I am still waiting for the linux based browser that can handle the connection to my online bank

(I know it is somewhat java related problem but I think I read somewhere that Firefox comes with a new java called tracemonkey or something...crossing fingers).

PS> If Sun doesnt release a java runtime for 64 bit linux soon.... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Re: firefox 3.5?

Now that Oracle owns (or will own) Sun, there are rumors OpenSolaris will be left to whither and die... so perhaps there will be more focus on Linux support.

Firefox 3.5 isn't going to be an update to 3.0.x afaik... you need to install firefox-3.5 directly. It should be there now.

Comment

Yes, I just did it --
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5
      However, after it is installed, you will search in vain for Firefox 3.5. What you will find is something called "Shiretoko" in your KMenu>Internet menu. Happily, it will have imported you bookmarks and your tabs/home page, so there's no additional setup. The first time you open it, it will barf on your plugins, maybe, depending on which ones you have. Just tell it to "Check" and then it will report there aren't any for Shiretoko, and it will proceed to open correctly.

Comment

oh my...why shiretoko?

anyway, does any of you more informed people understand if threadmonkey is a major improvement over whatevermonkey mozilla browsers used before (i think it was a monkey drinking ice tea?)

Comment

http://lifehacker.com/5082997/why-tr...-browsing-mind
          has some video goodness... from before 3.1 became 3.5.

I know nothing about it personally.

Shiretoko was the Mozilla codename or whatever for 3.1/3.5.

Comment

Working...
          X