This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 3 crashes

My Firefox 3.08 crashes at times. Well, way too often according to me. It seems to crash more often when a lot of tabs are open. But, I've witnessed this not being a problem in Debian (Lenny) and even more tabs have been open.

But, in Kubuntu 8.10, Firefox will crash all of a sudden and my only theory so far is that a lot of tabs have contributed to the crash.

In addition, the Firefox Updates option is greyed out and when I run Firefox as root, I receive the message:

'There are no new updates available. Firefox may check periodically for new updates.'

Is that normal?

The crashes are very annoying as I don't think that is typical so either a bug or something is corrupted or something?

Any theories? I would like to solve it if there is something out there. I don't think a lot of tabs should cause a crash but that seems to be what is happening. I've seen so many tabs open in Debian and nothing happens, no crashes. So, I'm really confused what is different in Kubuntu so that there is some problem causing FF3 to crash.

Re: Firefox 3 crashes

Originally posted by kbunt

when I run Firefox as root, I receive the message:

Hmmmmmmmm. So, I guess you're also running the X server as root ....

It is hard to tell what all is messed up on that system -- running the X server and user applications on it in root mode are known to cause all kinds of trouble.

Comment

I only ran it as root once to see what would happen. I just read from googling that running as root would change the 'updates' option from being greyed out. But, there was no updates available anyway so I was wondering how to upgrade the Firefox version from 3.08 to 3.10. I am not sure but it looks like you have to download separately the upgraded Firefox? It just seems like an extremely wishy washy method to update when you can just 'click' to update in Windows (it's constantly popping up, too, for any updates/upgrades for FF3).

Comment

Edit:
        I tried to update via the repositories and it was successful. This is okay?

The only potential concern that I could tell was a message while upgrading:

Code:
        dpkg: warning - unable to delete old directory `/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.8': Directory not empty
        Any cause for concern?

Other than that, FF3 is now upgraded to 3.0.10.

Comment

Working...
        X