X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma uses 100% CPU after latest round of uprgrades to 4.2.2

Hi All,

As the title suggests, I had just upgraded a load of packages for transition to 4.2.2 from the ppa archives. Now, aside from occasional login or startup crashes, I have a plasma process that shows 100% use of 1 CPU all of the time. If I kill plasma then restart it, the usage goes back to normal 0-5% for a while, but then eventually goes back up to 100%. This is independent of desktop effects and happens with both of the latest 2 kernals 2.6.27.14 or .13.

plasma --version
    <unknown program name>(6264)/ checkComposite: Plasma has an argb visual 0x92583e0 56623105
    <unknown program name>(6264)/ checkComposite: Plasma can use COMPOSITE for effects on 0x9257c30
    Qt: 4.4.3
    KDE: 4.2.2 (KDE 4.2.2)
    Plasma Workspace: 0.3

I don't know what else to check or how to see what is hanging plasma at this time. Can anyone suggest something?

<edit> It has something to do with desktop widgets. I started removing them and CPU usage dropped to normal. I added a couple back and CPU was fine, but then I locked them and CPU increased again. I looked at installed packages and see that kdeplasma-addons and kdeplasma-addons-data are still at 4:4.2.1-0ubuntu~intrepid1 while all the rest are at 4:4.2.2-0ubuntu~intrepid1. Anyone else seeing this?

Re: Plasma uses 100% CPU after latest round of uprgrades to 4.2.2

I have the same (4.2.1) kdeplasma-addons packages after the upgrade to 4.2.2, but I only upgraded a couple of minutes ago and I haven't had issues with plasma (and the widgets I use) yet. I will post back if it starts acting up.

Comment

I have a similar problem..my Plasma is using 50% CPU all the time. I think it started with 4.2.2 upgrade.

It's possible it might have something to do with me just installing Google sidebar.

However, I can kill the Google sidebar and it still takes 50%

Comment

I just upgraded to 9.04 and I have the same problem. My versions are somewhat different:
        $ LANG=C plasma --version
        <unknown program name>(26025)/ checkComposite: Plasma has an argb visual 0x8480138 31457281
        <unknown program name>(26025)/ checkComposite: Plasma can use COMPOSITE for effects on 0x8475218
        Qt: 4.5.0
        KDE: 4.2.2 (KDE 4.2.2)
        Plasma Workspace: 0.3

I run a dual-head setup through an nVidia card and use 2 SuperKaramba themes. I also set a slideshow on both screens (10 minutes sleep time). That's about the extents of the mods I made since upgrading.

Thanks!

Comment

Looks like I solved my problem by installing libkrosspython0 and libkrossruby0!

Comment

Help! Please! Plasma is always using 100% of one of my 2 CPUs, and shows up as 50% utilization in System Monitor. Help!

Comment

Working...
            X