This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong directories in environment variables

Hi all, I was wondering why my free disk space has reduced so much and after an investigation I found that there is a folder, in my home directory, that has lots of unuseful GB inside.

I'm using KDE-nightly from Project Neon.

The folder is .kde-neon/tmp

Shouldn't it be linked to /tmp ?

In my environment variables there is
    KDETMP=/home/madmage/.kde-neon//tmp
    That I think can be the problem: the double slash make me think that this variable shouldn't be prefixed by the /home/madmage/.kde-neon directory... am I wrong?

Re: Wrong directories in environment variables

Been a while since I used kde-neon, but I think it uses it's own tmp directory by design (to keep the installation completely separate from your "normal" kde installation).

It's possible it isn't "kept clean" by the system like /tmp.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
      Been a while since I used kde-neon, but I think it uses it's own tmp directory by design (to keep the installation completely separate from your "normal" kde installation).

It's possible it isn't "kept clean" by the system like /tmp.
      thanks for you answer...

of course it isn't kept clean: /tmp is for this kind of functionalities (and, moreover, I know that something temporary is in /tmp... how can I be aware that something is writing temporary things in whatever other place in my filesystem?)

anyway: is there a forum/bug tracker of project-neon where developers answer? I could'nt find any

Comment

Is there a reason for you still to use the nightly builds given that packages are now available for kde4.2 in intrepid here

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2

That would certainly solve your problem for the future.

Comment

Just for completeness I would like to point out that the double slash in a path (//) makes no difference at all. I just means that in a script somone added /tmp /home/madmage/.kde-neon/, hence double slash. Less than perfect but the system does not care at all.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
            Is there a reason for you still to use the nightly builds given that packages are now available for kde4.2 in intrepid here

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.2

That would certainly solve your problem for the future.
            They are available in Intrepid as backports, I was just look at the new KDE 4.2, but it to enable the whole backports repository on my PC seems to make things unstable, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by madmage
              of course it isn't kept clean
              It shouldn't be hard to include a script in kde-neon to keep the tmp clean.

Doesn't kde-neon build from trunk so it's actually a KDE4.3 pre-alpha preview now?

Comment

of course it isn't kept clean
                It shouldn't be hard to include a script in kde-neon to keep the tmp clean.
                I think the best solution is to make it point to /tmp directory, that is there for this reason. I also think that it is the initial idea of KDE developers, since, for example, it creates a kde-username subdirectory.

Doesn't kde-neon build from trunk so it's actually a KDE4.3 pre-alpha preview now?
                So again: where can we talk with project-neon developers? :-)

Comment

I think the best solution is to make it point to /tmp directory, that is there for this reason. I also think that it is the initial idea of KDE developers, since, for example, it creates a kde-username subdirectory.
                  Then your regular kde installation and kde-nightly would be using the same tmp directories for their data, I'm not sure that's such a good idea.

So again: where can we talk with project-neon developers? :-)
                  Perhaps the mailing list (or irc channel) mentioned here:
                  http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/User:Apac..._Neon/KDE/Info

Comment

Working...
                  X