X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Tab auto complete not working in konsole

Hey Everyone,

So I got a new workstation yesterday and after getting all of my settings transfered from my laptop to the desktop my konsole on the desktop does not autocomplete the command when you hit the tab key anymore. I've done some digging around on the net but the only thing I can really find on there is about having multiple tabs (like firefox) in the konsole. There was one site that talked about editing something, but it was out of date as this file no longer resides in the install or it's been relocated or renamed either way I don't have it. I've tried punching out bash in the konsole which works fine with no errors but the tab complete is still inoperable. Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Kubuntu II on both Laptop and Desktop and some servers here at the office

Re: Tab auto complete not working in konsole

The feature you are talking about is command completion in the bash shell. It is done using libreadline. To have it not enabled by default would be very strange, but you have given us no info about what is installed on your new workstation.

man bash and search for completion should give you some information, maybe more than you want. You certainly need to have libreadline installed for this to work though. Could konsole not be giving you a bash shell?

Comment

I just have a basic install here with Kubuntu 8.10 x86. I didn't install anything out of the ordinary on here. Thanks for telling me what it is actually called I didn't know that. The command complete was working for about half the day yesterday and then it just stopped I didn't do anything crazy I just went to hit the tab and nada. I can confirm that the libreadline is installed and just for safe measure I just reinstalled it as well. I also checked my /etc/passwd file and it confirms that my default shell should be bash. Let me know what other information I can provide you with to help get this resolved. Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

I am a little bit at a loss here. Maybe you should run xev and make sure that your TAB key is outputting keycode 23. Have you done anything with your shell init files like .bashrc, .bash_profile or .profile? In the process of moving did you maybe overwrite one that the system had installed?

In the process of writing I looked in /etc/bash.bashrc and found that the lines to activate command completion are commented there, so it is probably counting on your ~/.bashrc to activate it. I am guessing you put your old one in place and it does not do that. You could uncomment it in the system file or add the lines to your .bashrc.

Comment

You know what I'll bet I did was overwrite them when I copied my home directory from my lappy and I probably screwed up something in the process. I uncommented the lines from the file and all is well now. Thanks for your help with this.

Comment

Working...
          X