X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update to KDE 4.2 on Kubuntu 8.10

Hi,
    I'm new in KDE world. I have always used Gnome and considered KDE ugly. Sorry for that... Now I have installed on my netbook Kubuntu 8.10 and I must say that I was wrong. I am so convicted of this that I can't wait for the release of Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.2: I want to try before, if it is possible. But only if this will not cause a mess in my system. And when the 9.04 will be released can I update without incompatibilities? or broken dependencies? I found this guide on the Kubuntu site but I have a bit of fear to follow it without some advice.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Re: Update to KDE 4.2 on Kubuntu 8.10

I installed Kubuntu 9.04 Alpha 6 and immediately after the first reboot I did
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Since then I have installed every update. The first time a kernel upgrade was done the KDE4 desktop failed to appear, seemingly hanging after the globe appeared. It seemed that the kernel update converted the ownership of ~/.ICEauhtority from me to root. While the desktop was hung on the login screen I opened a Konsole, logged in, and issued
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
    sudo chown jerry:jerry ,/IDEauthority
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
    and the KDE4 desktop appeared as it should. Since then all my problems have been minor.

On my laptop KDE4.2.1 is becoming very fast and very polished. I Love it!!!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X