Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intrepid with KDE 4.2 -- Google Earth 5 shows logo and tip of the day and exits

After a half dozen obstacles and hitting walls, I finally got it to work in Debian (another partition).

The ironic thing is that it (i.e. solution I followed ) is from a Google forum and they were using Jaunty. I guess I'll try it on my own system.

'Will post back the results.

Comment

Re: Intrepid with KDE 4.2 -- Google Earth 5 shows logo and tip of the day and exits

Either way, you can use the CLI or Dolphine to set the executable bit on the bin file.

CLI:
      Open a konsole and cd to the google-earth directory that was created under your home account.
      Then issue
      chmod +x googleearth.bin (or what ever its name is ... I forget)
      Then
      ./googleearth.bin
      to run it.
      I did that, and when I try to run ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin I get this:

Code:
      Verifying archive integrity...Error in MD5 checksums: a5b2fb3462c725e1c69417b216a07496 is different from 7e2ee64995f3a4b65373ce81d235cd00
      I tried downloading the original file from Google a second time on the odds that it got corrupted, but got the same message. Then I downloaded the .bin of an earlier version of Google Earth, made it executable and got this:

Code:
      Verifying archive integrity...Error in MD5 checksums: acbe7bb79e45e4efa52141c5d0a7d621 is different from 33fdc468b730cef74ac8f5cc4dc83259
      What do these messages mean?

FWIW I am running Kubuntu 9.04 on a Panasonic CF-52

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

Jason

Comment

What do these messages mean?
        They mean that the file you downloaded was either corrupt to begin with or corrupted during the download process. Since I doubt that it was corrupted before you downloaded it my guess is that your connection is dropping packets, or your download cache is overflowing, or any one of a number of other problems.

The solution is to continue repeating the download and IMMEDIATELY checking the md5 sum into you get a download the gives you the correct md5 sum. Until you get a correct md5 sum any attempt at installing the application is an exercise in futility.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It might be referring to a downloaded data file for the GoogleEarth map, as opposed to the GoogleEarth program itself. I see it is referring to "archive integrity" -- not sure what that means.

Comment

Working...
          X