X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adobe Air Twhirl + KDE 4.2

Hi,

I upgraded to 4.2 ... am on 8.10

i installed adobe air and twhirl ( a twitter client )

it works perfrectly except that once it goes back to the system tray ( after clicking on the close button ) .. it doesnt come back.. it almost hangs my system.. the window keeps flashing and flickering very fast ( pardon me i do not know the exact technical terms to describe it ) .. i have to logout ( ctrl alt del ) or close the window.. ive tried twhirl on kde 4.1 and it works just fine..

also i tried a couple of mac widgets ... in vain

Re: Adobe Air Twhirl + KDE 4.2

I use Twirl on KDE 4.1. If you click the close button it will close the program altogether. You want to keep the program open? You just click the minimise button and it automatically returns to the system tray.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardcaptor Stacey
      I use Twirl on KDE 4.1. If you click the close button it will close the program altogether. You want to keep the program open? You just click the minimise button and it automatically returns to the system tray.
      sorry it was a typo.. it should have been minimize instead of close..

if i click on minimize it goes into the system tray.. then when i click on the systray icon.. it doesnt show up.. it almost hangs my system.. the window flashes are very high speed..

Comment

Originally posted by terrordrone
        if i click on minimize it goes into the system tray.. then when i click on the systray icon.. it doesnt show up.. it almost hangs my system.. the window flashes are very high speed..
        I have the same problem and confirmed it on a roommate's Kubuntu 8.10 machine. TweetDeck has the same problem, except that it simply does not restore instead of locking up the desktop like Twhirl. Spaz works fine but has less features and (maybe this is just me) seems to be a CPU hog at times.
        JamieWilson.net

Comment

Originally posted by Cardcaptor Stacey
          This appears to be a problem with AIR and KDE 4.2.
          JamieWilson.net

Comment

i managed two get-around solutions (not what you think it is.. :P)

one way to make it work as expected is to disable desktop effects in SystemSettings>Desktop>EnableDesktopEffects (uncheck it)

another way is to uncheck the 'hide when minimized' option twhirl settings

anyone has managed to get it working with desktop effects on and hide on minimize enabled ?

Comment

I was hoping that the recent AIR update would fix the problem. It appeared to for several hours but the problem is back again. I can get around it, as mentioned above, by having Twhirl minimize normally instead of to the task bar but that's not really a solution.

I'm wondering if this is a Twhirl+KDE4.2 problem or if this is a Twhirl+KDE4.2+Kubuntu problem.
              JamieWilson.net

Comment

How did you install everything? I can't get any Air applications to work in Kubuntu with KDE 4.x. The appplication appears, but everything is frozen until I get the oh so helpful "Error 5100". I tried a million different ways of starting the application, including sudo. Nothing works...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by jcphil
                  How did you install everything? I can't get any Air applications to work in Kubuntu with KDE 4.x. The appplication appears, but everything is frozen until I get the oh so helpful "Error 5100". I tried a million different ways of starting the application, including sudo. Nothing works...ever.
                  It's been a while since I did it, but I remember having the bulk of my problems trying to upgrade. In that case, I had to remove the old version and install fresh. I think installation was a just a matter of downloading the installer and running it.
                  JamieWilson.net

Comment

Thanks. I got Twhirl to work. Tweetdeck is hopeless. I have the combination of nVidia card and 180 driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X