This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cannot get video's to play...

I used to have vista, I recently switched over to kubuntu. I really like it, but my video library (everything is avi) won't load, if I try to open it, the player will open, and then shut itself off again. I've been trying to download different player and libs, but nothing seems to be working... and I downloaded oggconvert to try to change the file type, however I cannot find it to run it.

Re: I cannot get video's to play...

I guess you have Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10 installed on your PC, but what's your KDE version?

Do you have Kaffeine installed on your system? It should play AVI files correctly since it's already supported... I also use mplayer (plus kplayer if you want to get an KDE UI, too), and there's also VLC which can be downloaded with Adept AFAIK...

I forgot to ask this... What's your video card? What model is it?
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

I have kubuntu intrepid 8.10 with KDE 4.2
      Kaffeine will play it, but there's no sound... VLC and Mplayer both will shut down right after it starts.

my video card is built in to my chipset, but it's a pretty good chip set, I got it last year, and it worked on it when I had Windows media player.

Comment

hey thats wierd, I was running kaffeine, and it was just sound, but I clicked on the screen, and it went to full screen and I could see it... so I guess that solves the problem, but, thats wierd, is it supposed to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Josue
          hey thats wierd, I was running kaffeine, and it was just sound, but I clicked on the screen, and it went to full screen and I could see it... so I guess that solves the problem, but, thats wierd, is it supposed to do that?
          I do not use kaffeine, but that's not a normal behaviour for any video player
          Originally posted by Josue
          VLC and Mplayer both will shut down right after it starts.
          A good first step is to start either of them from the command line. That way you will get more information about the errors encountered. Just open konsole and type in mplayer, followed by the complete path and name of the video file. All sort of status messages will be printed in konsole and will give a pretty good idea of what went wrong.

What video card do you have (brand?). And did you install any drivers for it? Most issues I had with mplayer and vlc when installing kubuntu were driver related. Check mplayer's and vlc's video settings.

And, although it may not matter much, do you have the w32codecs package installed?

Comment

Ok well I have an AMD chipset and the graphics are a ATi Radeon X1250 Integrated. the computer is an ACER m3100, but it has 2gb's of ram not 3, I think they upgraded it before I bought it... about the drivers, I downloaded the 232 updates that they computer asked me too, and stuff, but I never really saw anything about drivers, I might have them I might not, I'm not sure how to go about getting them really...

I tried opening it in konsole, and it gave some kind of syntax error or something, I might have typed in the address wrong, but then I clicked on properties to the movie, and coppied the location listed pasted it and it still gave me the error.

I don't really know what the w32codes package is.

oh and I think maybe I should state that I am running on a 64 bit operating system. It might not matter but it might...

Comment

You need to enable the Medibuntu repository and then install the w32codecs package. #9 on the link in my signature.

Comment

I was trying to install all that stuff, but my father accidentally cut my power in the middle of the process, right about after I "sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/intrepid.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list" in the konsole
                it came back up with wierd screen errors when I turned it on, and then I installed 2 updates and 2 packages in adept, then restarted, when I got back in I had to fix my resolution, causing the all famous auto hide error again, luckly I knew how to fix that already, so now I'm all fixed but when I "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update" in console it will load and get stuck on 99% then after a while tell me some kind of error and then suggest an apt-get update or something to fix it...

and I'm still having to put kaffeine in full screen to watch video, and it is the only player that works...

Comment

In konsole enter

sudo dpkg --configure -a && sudo apt-get -f install

Sometimes it helps you fix a few things while downloading / configuring / installing apps or packages. Usually I also open Adept and install any small app I find there (kolourpaint or whatever you want to install) and later I can continue installing / upgrading any app I need to install or upgrade. I don't know why, yet, but it helps me a lot.
                  Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                  Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                  Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                  Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

ok so I downloaded a propriety driver for my integrated ATI radeon graphics card, it was supposed to I think increase 3d support, and boost 2d and stuff, well I restarted my computer to get it to work, and what do you know, no graphic support at all (I can't see ANYTHING), so now I am booted from my install disk, trying to figure out how to trash that driver problem is, since I am booted from the install disk it is up as a brand new kubuntu system, and the driver registers as uninstalled, so I have no idea how to do this, luckly all my music, movies, pictures, and everything important, are on my second hard drive, so if I really have to I can do a clean installation. but I don't want to... I used to have this problem before when I had normal ubuntu booted on my computer, I thought it was a bad install disk, but now I know it's not cause I tried that driver on that system too, and I just pieced it together now...

any one know how to fix this

Comment

Working...
                    X