This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't set clock...(Solved)

Everytime I go to set my clock in system settings, because it's 5 hours off, it says can not connect to time server. I tried them all and it says the same thing. I am connected to internet so I know that's not the problem. My bios clock is set right. What could be wrong?
    Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Re: Can't set clock...

One can change via the CLI.

The date command can be used to change the system date and time. See man date.
    The hardware clock can be changed with the hwclock command. See man hwclock.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog but I don't understand all those commands to just set the time. Why on Earth would it be so difficult to just set the date and time? KDE 3 was great when it came to this. I did read you need admin access to do it and it says click on Administration mode button (in help) but there is not one there. It also should ask you my admin password when I click apply, but it doesn't. Is this a bug?
      Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

Looks like:
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...do/+bug/312569
        If you are looking for workaround I would recommend ntpdate run as cron job. It should do the trick.

Comment

Your sig line shows you are using KDE 4.2.

K Menu > System Settings > Regional & Language > Time & Dates

This allows you to set the formating for the displayed date and time. If you have a clock widget installed to the panel, just right-click on it and select Clock Settings. If the clock is on your desktop, mouse on it until you see the tools sidebar and click on the wrench to get to the settings.

Comment

You might want to double check your timezone as well. If your clock is exactly 5 hours off it could be set to the wrong timezone.

Comment

Thank you all for replying. I had the right time zone and that was another thing that was making me crazy. Another thing that was nuts was if I booted up in 8.04 then went back to 8.10 the time was correct. However, I really messed up my 8.10 4.2 last night with the install of Openoffice 3 or should I say near install. It complained of some kind of issue with oxygen icons already installed on my system. So guess what this dumb a** did? You guessed it, uninstalled my kde oxygen theme. Boy what a mistake that was. So since this was a pretty new install anyway I reinstalled everything and then did all my updates and then upgrade to 4.2 and now this computer is running great. YES, I can change my clock now!!!! Strange huh? But really, thank you all again for your great and insightful help. Ed

Comment

Chalk it up to experience and call it a lesson learned. We've all gone through it at some point in our Linux journey. If you will return to your first post in this thread and click the modify button, you can add SOLVED to the subject line.

Comment

Working...
                X