This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strange lines and colors before window appears

The problem is with the desktop effects. If you close all windows then disable the desktop effects, the problem goes away. It must have something to do with the openGL rendering.
    With the desktop effects disabled there are no funny lines or remnants of the last displayed window contents.

Dell E1505
    Kubuntu 8.10
    KDE 4.2.x
    Nvidia w/nvidia driver.

Comment

I have the same problem (I have a Pentium 4 PC, with a nvidia geforce 7300gt). But mostly I notice it when displaying menus from KickOff. Doesn't bother me much... happens only for half a second, but anyway....
      For anything else, my video performance is great, even with OpenGL screensavers, specially after I installed nvidia drivers (177).
      My music!

Comment

Originally posted by pinguino
        The problem is with the desktop effects. If you close all windows then disable the desktop effects, the problem goes away. It must have something to do with the openGL rendering.
        With the desktop effects disabled there are no funny lines or remnants of the last displayed window contents.
        Except I and several others posting in those bug report entries get it with effects disabled. :3
        KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Well, I for one can say I used to have this problem but it is gone in 4.2 RC. Are any of you using the nvidia 180 series drivers? I have 180.11.

It just seems odd that it would be fixed under certain circumstances (mine) and not for many others.

Comment

I just hope there is someone looking into this. It sure it annoying to look at when my desktop is otherwise beautiful. One thing helped though. I closed all windows, then opened K>System settings>Desktop, un-checked enable desktop effects, then closed all remaining windows. Seemed to, let me say, "wash" the garbage so it doesn't look so dirty (cleaned up the weird color aspect).
            Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz<br />Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub

Comment

I am running ATI graphics and I am getting it too. Ripping, lines through windows and what looks like static. I just had to re-install Kbuntu, but didn't have this issue before. Installed the restricted ATI driver, but still get the same. Everything seems to work ok, but with full desktop effects, it does seem to lag just noticeably enough to make me wonder.

Before it worked like a dream...
              Kbuntu 8.10 - KDE 4.1 / &lt;strike&gt;Windows XP Professional&lt;/strike&gt;<br />Foxconn 661FX Motherboard - 575W PS<br />3.0 GHz Intel Pentium 4HT - OC @ 3.4GHz<br />2GB Corsair DDR 400 RAM<br />512MB ATI Saphire (Radeon) X1650<br />Maxtor 300GB Internal HDD - &lt;strike&gt;Windows&lt;/strike&gt; Storage!<br />Maxtor 160GB Internal HDD - Kbuntu

Comment

@pinguino
                In my case, the problem persists also with disabled effects.

@zorael
                I'm totally ignorant about ppa: what I have to do exaclty to add your ppa?
                Is it a "dangerous task" for not experienced ubunters? I mean, what could happen If I don't install it correctly?
                You know, It's better to have some garbage than a damaged system...

THANX have a good day

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
                  Well, I for one can say I used to have this problem but it is gone in 4.2 RC. Are any of you using the nvidia 180 series drivers? I have 180.11.

It just seems odd that it would be fixed under certain circumstances (mine) and not for many others.
                  Nvidia works around the issue in their 180.x drivers. Everyone else is affected in various degrees.
                  Originally posted by sophmf
                  @zorael
                  I'm totally ignorant about ppa: what I have to do exaclty to add your ppa?
                  Is it a "dangerous task" for not experienced ubunters? I mean, what could happen If I don't install it correctly?
                  You know, It's better to have some garbage than a damaged system...
                  Well, a ppa is a personal package repository. If you add it to your software sources, package managers will include stuff available from there into their databases, and use it for installation and upgrades.

The only danger involved is if the ppa owner uploads maliciously modified packages and you install those, I guess. Also, ppa packages haven't gone through official testing and approval, so depending on the contents of the ppa, you could end up getting your bugs fixed, or introducing new ones, etc. It's like calling a cardboard box dangerous. It could contain a fluffy bunny, or it could contain a viper on amphetamine.

I assure you mine is safe, though I imagine I still would if it wasn't. To add it, pop up Adept Manager, View -> Sources, Software Sources, Third-Party Software, Add: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/zorael/ubuntu intrepid main
                  Also, if you want the source packages: deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/zorael/ubuntu intrepid main

Alternatively, from a terminal:
                  Code:
                  $ echo deb [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/zorael/ubuntu[/url] intrepid main | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorael.ppa.list
                  For the source packages:
                  Code:
                  $ echo deb-src [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/zorael/ubuntu[/url] intrepid main | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorael.ppa.list
                  To remove the ppa from your list of sources, just remove it at the same list where you added it in Adept, or enter the following.
                  Code:
                  $ sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorael.ppa.list
                  KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
                    Has anyone seen this in the latest 4.2 Release Candidate? I can't get it to reproduce anymore, though I certainly experienced it prior.
                    I get this when I open Firefox and Opera, I have an ATI Radeon 800 and KDE 4.2 RC1 installed. Strangely enough it doesn't seem to occur when opening Konqueror, Dolphin or Adept.

Comment

Thank you Zorael!
                      I've added you ppa and updated and now all looks ok.
                      I just see some garbage when I scroll pictures too fast, but this is the only one case (and actually, i don't need to scroll pictures fast...).
                      Thanx again, have a good day

Comment

Same satisfaction here, thanks Zorael! is this topic as good as solved?
                        Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz<br />Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub

Comment

Working...
                        X