This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiz or desktop effects?

This is probably a dumb question but so far I confess to being clueless. Sometimes, my browser shrinks and the other windows become shown 'minimized' and scattered about on the desktop. I assume these are kde/compiz or some other kind of desktop effects. I don't mind it but sometimes it happens and I'm not sure what caused it.

Can anyone tell me the ways you produce these effects? Am I doing something and not realizing? Is it a bug? I really don't know what's going on but if I had some explanation, it would pacify my curiosity.

Re: Compiz or desktop effects?

It's probably caused by desktop corner effects. Each corner of your desktop can trigger a specific action, like the one you described. I think by default the upper left corner shows all your windows. You can disable this or assign other actions to other parts of your screen in the system settings.

Comment

In Kubuntu, KDE4's kwin effects are enabled by default if your hardware supports them. And it appears that yours does
      There are some effects that are enabled by default, and others you can choose. One you may be seeing is a 'present windows' one where if you 'shove' your cursor to the upper left corner, you get a mini-view of all your windows

Check out System Settings/Desktop/Desktop Effects for options, effects, and configurations

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
        In Kubuntu, KDE4's kwin effects are enabled by default if your hardware supports them. And it appears that yours does
        There are some effects that are enabled by default, and others you can choose. One you may be seeing is a 'present windows' one where if you 'shove' your cursor to the upper left corner, you get a mini-view of all your windows

Check out System Settings/Desktop/Desktop Effects for options, effects, and configurations
        Thanks, that's perfect!!! The cursor to the upper left corner is causing it like you say. I only realize it now since you give me the info! It's better now that I know what's going on. I don't mind this feature, it is actually interesting if you have a lot of apps open and things get cluttered but you can't quickly spot what's open.

I knew it was my mouse pointer/cursor doing something but I failed to realize what the exact movement was. Duh!

Now, my main 'desktop issue' is the flickering but it hasn't happened in a while. I am betting there is some explanation for that, too, but I fear it might be due to a KDE4/video driver conflict of some sort (that may not have a fix yet or an easy fix). Oh well, just a nuisance when it happens.

Comment

Just as a note the Kwin effects get better with each new version of KDE. I am up to 4.2 beta 2 and have most of what compiz gave me in the past. I can not only use the desktop cube I can use the desktop grid.

Noel Vh
          ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

Working...
          X