This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved]open Office problems

I updated today my open office. And now it crashes on start.
    Anyone else has this problem?
    I have OO3+ probably as it was updated and KDE4.2beta...

I had similar problem on Windows also with OO3, but I thought that was due to broken add-on.
    I didn't install any add-on on my Linux OO, so I have no idea what it is...
    Anyway does anyone know where to find add-ons? So to try and disable them if there are any...

Thanks for the help.
    P.S.: It might be the problem with Slovenian dictionary on OO so maybe I'm the only one affected...
    I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Re: open Office problems

I had exactly the same problem on two separate machines.

I managed to resolve it by removing openoffice.org-kde. You lose a bit of quality in the menus display, but otherwise all seems to work.

Details of my attempt to solve follow:

OOo 3.0 running on Kubuntu 8.10 amd64 from launchpad repository.
    I updated (general Kubuntu update) this morning around 07:00 CET
    which led to crash.

Opening any component of OOo led to a recovery cycle and new crash.
    Complete re-installation did not help, nor removing user directory.
    Success in the end by leaving openoffice.org-kde out of the re-installation.

On a machine with a similar setup I removed openoffice.org-kde from the list
    items to be updated. Same crash occurred. The update was only successful when
    openoffice.org-kde was completely removed.

Something in the update is clashing with both the previous and the updated
    versions of openoffice.org-kde

Would be good if someone could get ...-kde working with OOo again

Comment

I am having those same crashes. It opens to a crash screen. I tried it with fluxbox and OO works great. This prompted me to try running with desktop effects disabled. No different opens with a crash screen. The issue seems to be with OO and KDE.

David

Comment

Originally posted by spotslayer
        I am having those same crashes. It opens to a crash screen. I tried it with fluxbox and OO works great. This prompted me to try running with desktop effects disabled. No different opens with a crash screen. The issue seems to be with OO and KDE.

David
        Do you have nVidia card?
        I have a theory that it might be connected to nVidia restricted drivers which has problems with plasma mostly visible when using OO...
        And I know that with that when I updated the OO I also updated nvidia driver (strangely it was 98 driver even though I use 177, but I said I guess it's important...)

Comment

had the same problems last night, and used this guide to install OpenOffice 3

http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-ins...on-ubuntu-8.04
          (I did this one on kubuntu 8.10 x86_64)

or

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1000861

(written for ubuntu 8.10, and the one I would use personally)

Now OpenOffice 3 works fine.

Comment

No I have intel video chipset. My install came as an update. I think it revolves around KDE. PJA37's soulution also points to this. I am using x86 version of kubuntu not the 64 bit version.

D

Comment

I had this problem too. As someone stated above, if you remove the openoffice-kde package it works again.

Comment

So this is solved for most of us...
                I had to reinstall Kubuntu, because I had also other problems with KDE4.2....

Comment

Re: [Solved]open Office problems

I had the same problems after upgrading to the launchpad ooo3, so I removed all of the openoffice packages with synaptic and reinstalled from the .deb files available on the ooo site, including the desktop integration subfolder.. Then it still crashed. Then I uninstalled again AND removed all openoffice user files using
                  ~/rm -rv .openoffic*
                  and reinstalling using the .deb files again (including desktop integration subfolder)

THis works well for me now. No troubles. I don't know what the problem was or what really fixed it, but I suspect it was some wonky configuration file that was version incompatible. It may be ok to reinstall from the launchpad files if you wipe the user directories, but I am not about to go through that again.

Comment

OOO3 is working fine here, both in Kubuntu and in sidux. These are both my original installations from the downloaded tarball.

I've been contemplating setting up the launchpad OOO3 source repo (for Kubuntu) and the Debian experimental OOO3 source repo (for sidux), but it strikes me that I would be violating the #1 rule of Smart Linux Use -- if it's working, don't fix it!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                      if it's working, don't fix it!
                      I concur. I installed mine from the repository. After removing openoffice.org-kde as suggested by pja37 everything works as it should.

D 8)

Comment

Re: NOT [Solved]open Office problems

I am with pja37, removing openoffice.org-kde completely was the simplest fix. However I disagree with calling this (Solved). While there may be several work-arounds that mitigate the issue, the root cause issue is NOT solved, and looking at the openoffice website where this same issue is reported in multiple posts, it doesn't look like the true solution will come from the openoffice group.
                        Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Yep, launchpad's OOo3 is broken. Thanks for telling us about the kde package - I didn't know.

I took the problem as the ideal opportunity to learn a little more CLI. Here is what I came up with: (fwiw)

Code:
                          sudo dpkg -l|grep openoffice > oolist
                          awk '{printf(" %s", $2)}' oolist > ootmp
                          sudo apt-get remove --purge `cat ootmp`
                          The first command spits out a list of all packages containing openoffice in their name and writes the output to a file named oolist. The second command is sheer magic (even if I say so myself ). The file oolist is not usable as such, too many fields. So I manipulated it using awk to list only the second field (i.e. the package name) separated by a space and write it to another file. Finally we have some output which we can feed apt-get (for both the remove and install process).

Remove the launchpad repo from /etc/apt/sources.list

Code:
                          sudo apt-get install `cat ootmp`
                          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Just thought I'd revisit this.
                            After updating to KDE 4.2 and OOo 3.0.1 I risked reinstalling openoffice.org-kde. Whatever the bug was, it's been fixed. The menus are looking pretty again.

Comment

It's back again.
                              I've moved onto 3.1 and after the latest update (this morning) all my icons disappeared and choosing "options" made OO crash.
                              Usual suspect, only the other way round this time. I reinstalled openoffice.org-kde and openoffice.org-style-oxygen and back came the icons.
                              Has someone got it in for KDE?

Comment

Working...
                              X