This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spellcheck not working in OpenOffice

Any idea why? Is it something to do with the language packs?

Re: Spellcheck not working in OpenOffice

Language packs for you language should have already been installed with the OS installation. That said, check the Open Office options: Tools > Options > Language Settings > Writing Aids and ensure that the spell checking options are checked.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hmm, still not working. I switched back to GNOME, and same thing. Incorrectly spelled words are not identified.

Comment

So you did what Snowhog said?

If so, 2 possibilities:

1. Do you mean it's not working at all or not working as you type? If the latter you need to depress the autospellcheck button in the top bar of the OOo UI.

2. It may be that there is a mis-match between the language in the template you are using and the language pack. That would cause the spellchecker not to work. Create a new document then select tools/language/for selection. If your chosen language is not selected by default, that will cause the checker not to work. Select your language and you should be in business.

Comment

I am having the same problem. My spell checker does not work and I have tried both manually using the spell checker and using the auto spell checker. None work.

I have made sure to check that the writing aids are activated.

Kubuntu 8.10 x64 KDE 4.1.3

Comment

Now here's something interesting about this: I like to have the red squiggle under misspelt words, too. I did manage to set it up on my desktop [Intrepid]. But, I've had to keep windows on my [very slow] notebook. Word was causing problems, so I uninstalled it and installed Oo.o 3.0 for windows [much quicker] and it won't do what it's told!! So, to check anything I write sitting in the garden [the only reason I keep the damn thing is for the drivers for my wireless adaptor] I have to check it on my Linux copy on the desktop!

Cheers,

Jim

Comment

Hi Guys,
              Just adding to this, a I have had the same problem.
              What I discovered which I thought was really uncanny was that if I create a new document by opening Dolphin, right mouse click and create a OO Writer file the spell check does not work, or at least detect my dictionary.
              However, if I create a new document via Kickoff Apps Launcher > Applications > Office > OO Word Processor, the spell check works fine.

Very strange. Any answers?

Cheers,
              Rob
              ================================<br />&quot;Kubuntu, What a Catch! It&#39;s Marvelous!&quot;<br /><br />Local Id: OPM595<br />&quot;Central Commentry Position&quot;<br />The SCG,&nbsp; Sydney, Australia<br />================================

Comment

I've got Ubuntu on a new HP DV6 with latest version, and the spellcheck works fine on that both for Thunderbird and OpenOffice. Jim

Comment

Hm, check that tools - options - language settings - writing aids are properly set.
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Check also if "myspell" package for your language is installed. OO is using this for spell check. Normally it should be there, but in some cases it may be missing. I got this quite recently in one of our office machines - it was not checking polish syntax. Solution was to install "myspell-pl" package. Nothing more - all options on OO were set up correctly.

Regards.

Comment

Working...
                    X