X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED]: ISSUES With non native KDE Apps

the other night i opened wine config,

there is no visible text only some dashes here and there.,
    so today @ work i need to use open office.. Same thing there .. (all the menus have a "-" instead of the text it should have)
    opened GNUcash same thing..
    Kmymoney Same thing... , it appers that most non native apps have this issue... i have been using (K)ubuntu since 5.10 and i have never seen this b4, nor have i seen it in any other distro i have used,

ne one have this issues beside myself , or better yet a soultion>?

Running Kubuntu 8.10
    Geforce 4 go using Nvidia 96 Driver (finally working, after last jockey update)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Re: ISSUES With non native KDE Apps

Originally posted by sithlord48

Geforce 4 go using Nvidia 96 Driver (finally working, after last jockey update)

Ummmmmmmmmmm .... I'm going to suggest you really didn't. :P

The new X.org version in Kubuntu 8.10 has known problems with Nvidia drivers for cards prior to the 6xxx series. That's why the release notes say you're getting the "nv" driver. I have not heard that this problem is resolved, so you are not going to get good results with proprietary drivers on that card - your best results will be with "nv". Sorry -- no 3D for you.

Comment

Re: ISSUES With non native KDE Apps

yea i was hoping that those issues were fixed by the update, i mean it 100% better the nvidia driver accually shows everything except for the issue above , well that i have noticed , it even runs better then the 8.04 version did (compiz runs around 33% faster)

IF YOU HAVE THAT ISSUE ITS THE NVIDIA DRIVER , at least it was for me,

Thanks dibl yet again
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Re: [SOLVED]: ISSUES With non native KDE Apps

That's is what I love about these forums, if you search for a possible answer to your problem there already is a possible answer waiting for you.
        Thank you for this thread! I switched my settings in xorg.conf back to NV and the menu display problem has gone with 3.5 kde apps and working like a dream again.
        Maybe the nice cosmetic effects will have to wait till Nvidia comes back with a result.

best wishes - Bukunut
        There are three kinds of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.

Comment

Just to add to this issue, I have seen this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=14

All I had to do, was edit xorg.conf file and add this:
          Code:

Option "RenderAccel" "0"

in "Device" section
          This also worked for me, with this amendment can have desktop effects and no menu issue. Hope that helps others.

best wishes - Bukunut
          There are three kinds of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.

Comment

All this looks promising but whats wrong with this :

MyComputerName:~$ sudo gedit /etc/x11/xorg.conf
            sudo: gedit: command not found

regards
            Drellir
            In theory there is no difference between practice and theory but in practice there is a great difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Drellir
              MyComputerName:~$ sudo gedit /etc/x11/xorg.conf
              sudo: gedit: command not found
              gedit is the default editor in ubuntu/gnome, in kubuntu/kde you can use "kdesudo kate" in place of "sudo gedit"

Comment

Working...
              X