Oh bless you, musta ruhtinas! Now I don't have to keep doing the tired old
    Code:
    CTRL+ALT+F1

killall krunner_lock

CTRL+ALT+F7
    trick. That gets tiresome after a while. :P

Comment

Re: Project Neon

Okay, I still haven't sorted the few problems with KDE-neon that I've had, but think I've found a potential reason for them. I'm liking 4.2 more and more, and would love to switch full time, but these issues are really getting in my way.

I can't get akregator to download feeds, nor get kmail to fetch mail from imap or pop3 servers. When I installed kde-neon I copied .kde to .kde-neon, to transfer all of my settings.

In trying to get things fixed, I deleted .kde-neon - but my mail and news settings didn't change.

So, for some reason, both kmail and akregator (and possibly other programs), despite being run in kde-neon, are reading from my KDE 4.1 settings. They work perfectly when run under 4.1, but don't work under 4.2b. I'm not sure how to tell the programs where they should be looking for their settings information, so any pointers on that front would be deeply appreciated.

On a separate note, a few updates ago, Amarok-nightly stopped displaying properly - everything is just a blank grey pane beneath the play controls. Things play fine, but I have no access to the collection, playlist, internet options or anything else. This has remained across a number of updates. Any pointers on that would be great either.

Comment

The kde 4.2 beta is much more polished than the neon releases, because some work went into it to make it work better with Kubuntu. For example, Akregator works fine in the beta, whereas I experience the same problems you had in neon.

I suggest installing the beta 1 (and beta 2 is coming in a couple days I believe), and you'll get all the goodness of 4.2 in a more polished form.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate
          The kde 4.2 beta is much more polished than the neon releases, because some work went into it to make it work better with Kubuntu. For example, Akregator works fine in the beta, whereas I experience the same problems you had in neon.

I suggest installing the beta 1 (and beta 2 is coming in a couple days I believe), and you'll get all the goodness of 4.2 in a more polished form.
          I still can't get Lancelot to run, any ideas?

Comment

last time I tried to install the beta (1), I got all kinds of errors, and my laptop wouldn't start up...anyone else see this? It was a few days ago.
            mm0

P.S. Neon installs and runs fine...
            Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Might give iinstalling the beta a shot, but I'd be a little cautious given that it would upgrade by 4.1.3 installation - if I lose mail, that would be Bad(tm).

I'll have a looksee over the weekend.

Comment

I can't believe it, I just downloaded over 170 mb of updates and the opening tune finally works without being truncated.

Comment

170 MBs for that bit of essential sound. Well done
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Hi
                    My first question in this forum though I have used Linux for about 10 years and Kubuntu for 4 I think. Most of the time I have a problem I can find it through searching on the forum but this time I can't find anything about my problem. I'm running kde-nightly (neon) and can't find a way to install language support for my systemlanguage (Swedish). Though I'm fairly good in English but still would like to have Swedish as systemlanguage.

Looking forward for help.

Moses

Comment

Switching to the beta worked for akregator and kmail - a very nice release, with only one or two small issues that I can see before things are fully polished.

Amarok still only presents a blank pane though, and won't seem to upgrade - I'll just wait for the full release to get into the backports repo I think.

Comment

I have a question.
                        I want to install Neon, but if I install this along-side a Kubuntu 8.10 install using 4.1, will the two be "merged" together?
                        Will I have separate menus, programs, etc?
                        Will my widgets be merged?

I want them separate, isolated.
                        Any way?

I can't wait until Kubuntu packages up KDE 4.2 Beta 2.

Comment

I want to install Neon, but if I install this along-side a Kubuntu 8.10 install using 4.1, will the two be "merged" together?
                          This has been answered on this thread but the quick one is: no.
                          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Sweet, thanks for the quick reply.
                            I'm going to install Kubuntu 8.10, and Neon! I'll report back how it goes!

Comment

Welcome to the party and enjoy
                              4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I just found a neat little trick.

By putting (adding) the folder view widget (plasmoid) on a panel you get a quick access folder with preview for /home or any other folder.
                                Very nice
                                4 GB Ram
                                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                                X