This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory Footprint

Is anyone else having a problem with plasma taking 780k in memory? Then every 4 seconds its CPU goes to 17% to 55% back to 22% then 10% over a 4 second span.

I hope they plan to improve this, as it makes switching desktops a real pain in the ***. My desktop 2 runs two instances of Quanta+ and KDE svn, but it takes all 3 applications roughly 3 seconds to paint. I am running 2 GB of memory, I do not see a need to up that to more to run such simple programs. Quanta+'s footprint is only 25k (second instance is 8k) and kdesvn is 5k.

Plasma is the issue, I just don't know how I can tweak its settings to run smaller and with less CPU cycles.

Re: Memory Footprint

Not sure if this makes a difference, but I disabled Desktop effects and restarted KDE, it now has a footprint of 22k. I'll run it for a week straight and see how it compares to the 780k I was seeing previously.

Maybe its' because I never reboot my machine and hardly ever logout? With linux, I just never had any reason to reboot or logout, just lock the session.

Comment

I am seeing the same thing. In fact, this morning, when i went to look something up on my wife's desktop, I found that it was running so slowly that I could barely get it to open the K menu in order to shut it down.

I have seen this behavior on both my laptop and desktop to a certain extent, when I run Kubuntu for an extended period of time.

The longer it runs, the more memory it uses. Is this normal?

I've been trying to pitch to my wife that Linux is lighter, more agile and less of a resource hog then windows, but I am thinking that 8.10 is not going to convince her of that...

Any ideas?
      I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details. -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by jackfalstaff
        [ ... ]
        I've been trying to pitch to my wife that Linux is lighter, more agile and less of a resource hog then windows, but I am thinking that 8.10 is not going to convince her of that...

Any ideas?
        Introduce her to Hardy - it's Rock Solid - as in Uriah Heep, and runs like a hungry lurcher.

Comment

Just to give everyone an update, after a day after turning of desktop effects, plasma is now at a 132 k memory footprint, and it started at 25k yesterday.

I'll be back up to 700k in no time at this rate.

Comment

hmmm memory leak anyone?
            I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details. -Albert Einstein

Comment

Definitely. If there is a location where I should report this and any logs that may be convenience, could someone point me in that direction? I'd be glad to give any details I can muster up to get this solved.

Comment

It's just a thought, but i was getting lots of lag a week or so ago, <Ctrl><Esc> shew over a hundred scim-something processes running riot, have you tried System Activity?

Comment

Originally posted by cpradio
                  Just to give everyone an update, after a day after turning of desktop effects, plasma is now at a 132 k memory footprint, and it started at 25k yesterday.

I'll be back up to 700k in no time at this rate.
                  The developers have managed to get a stable desktop, so I'm sure that they are now concentrating on optimising the code.

Comment

I dont have any that start with scim.

Comment

There was a glitch of some sort with scim about a week or so ago, i wondered if you'd somehow missed the up-date.

No, i haven't got a single scim process either.

Comment

Note to self, do not try to monitor the input/output of plasma through the System Activity. I believe it killed plasma, stopped ALT+F2 from showing the Run Dialog, stopped CTRL+ESC from showing System Activity, so I had to log out and log back in. My footprint is back to 22K.

Comment

Working...
                        X