X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Playback (DVD, AVI, etc.) Cause Crash in Video

Greetings,

Symptoms: Any video that is watched on my new Intrepid system ends up dumping to a black screen after a few seconds. I have watched the trailers with VLC on a DVD with no problem, but selected to play the main menu and got the crash. Any AVI's played with Xine begin playing and after about 2-5 seconds they do the same thing. Sound still plays. Most of the time the crash just shows a backlit black screen. Other times, the screen blinks continuously from black backlit to off. All necessary codecs (w32codecs) are installed as well as libdvdcss.

This is a brand new 8.10 install. My video card is onboard and the chipset is Intel 855GME. I had no problems running video under 7.10. I have tried to switch my desktop mode from OpenGL to xRender, which was suggested in another forum. No luck there.

Thanks for help in advance,

Brian

Re: Video Playback (DVD, AVI, etc.) Cause Crash in Video

Brian,

I had the same problem as you, and it was just solved.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100917.0

That is the link to my Topic.

The solution is basically use VLC Media Player, goto preferences, click on video, and set the output to X11 video output.

Hope this helps.

-Kyuu

Comment

Re: Video Playback (DVD, AVI, etc.) Cause Crash in Video

if you click in prefs you will need to click the advanced options check box near the bottom to see that option , also there are a few other output modes in the repos if the X11 one dosent work for you , search for "vlc" and you will see the packages from there discriptions.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
      X