This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde 4.1.3... then 4.1.4.. and 4.1.5?.

I am new to kubuntu and I was wondering when these updates for kde come out do they get auto updated in kubuntu or do you have to choose to upgrade or backport. How does it work?

Re: kde 4.1.3... then 4.1.4.. and 4.1.5?.

KDE 4.2 will probably appear in the repositories and you'll be given the option to upgrade when it's released in January.

I don't know the roadmap for KDE off-hand, but 4.3, for example, isn't likely to come out before the next version of Ubuntu in six months time - 9.04, Jaunty Jackalope. That means you probably won't see it in the 8.10 repositories, but if you're interested in the most up-to-date software, you'll be upgrading to 9.04 anyway.

Comment

I didnt say kde 4.3.0.........I said kde 4.1.3

Comment

It is released today

http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-4.1.3.php

Comment

Originally posted by wrender
          I am new to kubuntu and I was wondering when these updates for kde come out do they get auto updated in kubuntu or do you have to choose to upgrade or backport. How does it work?
          If you enable the up-dates, they will happen automatically.

With Adept, click on the Sources icon, select <Edit Software Sources>, on the Updates tab enable Proposed Updates, and if you're happy with it, also Unsupported Updates - which i don't do, to be honest, as breakages have been known to occur.

Then click <Close> then <Fetch current package lists>. You only have to do that once, next time you fetch the lists, it will fetch them all.

Edit:
          This will keep your installation up-to-date.
          When Jaunty is released, you will be prompted, that up-grade isn't automatic.

Comment

The 0.0.1 updates occur monthly until the next 0.1 version comes out.
            In other words, later this month we'll get 4.1.4. I believe in January we're due to receive 4.2.0.

Comment

So I am under the assumption that the 0.0.1 releases are almost like the equivalent of just security/bug fix updates that just pop up when I log in and go through if I accept the update.

While 0.1.0 updates is a big deal and requires me to specifically go out of my way to find and install it?

Comment

KDE 4.13 is in the Intrepid Backports.

> UbuntuBackports

If you have backports enabled then you will get notification that that there will be new packages (depends your settings).
                Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

No, you shouldn't have to go out of your way to install either type of update. One day you'll be updating your sources in Adept (or wherever) and the new updated packages will be there ready for download and installation. These are not like Distribution Upgrades (going from 8.04 to 8.10).

Comment

Interesting....

So the next question is will kde 4.1.3 just show up in adept or do I have to setup the backports repository first?

Comment

If you follow the instructions i gave above, you will be up-dated (Not Up-graded) without doing anything other than <Fetching package lists> each day.

The up-dates will be applied automatically, so long as you have enabled them.

Comment

The link Rog131 gave has a good explanation of the different fringe repositories. Backports seems like the one you would need in this case. "proposed" and "unsupported" would probably also work, but may have other side effects.

Comment

Ok thanks for all the help! I will have to give it a shot when I get the chance.

Comment

Working...
                          X