This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plasmoid and widgets

Just installed Kubuntu 8.10. Been working with and learning Linux for about a year.

At the risk of sounding lazy and non-computer geek, I haven't read or understood what use the plasmoid desktop and the widget thing that show up on the desktop of 8.10 when you first intall it.

Maybe I am too set in my ways to see the need for something that might be of great use. But I can't see the need of those two things from where I am right now. Perhaps someone could point me to a simple explanation about these two new and somewhat confusing things. I have read some about them but still didn't understand the need for them.
    Harold<br />Kubuntu 8.04<br />Mepis 7.0 &amp; 8.0<br />Mint 5 KDE

Re: plasmoid and widgets

KDE 4 is a new and different user interface -- it represents a significant departure from the "desktop" metaphor that has been the popular GUI since Apple introduced the Mac, IBM introduced OS/2, and Microsoft copied it. Not every KDE 4 feature is necessarily a "solution to a need" -- some are just a different way for you to interact with your system.

Mr. Google will be happy to provide further details, if you need more than these and these.

Comment

Re: plasmoid and widgets

Thanks, dibl.

I will give your links and more googling a try. I just think when something is new and different then it must be a better way of doing things. Even though I know that is not true when products come out with a new and improved version. I guess my being unsure about a lot of things having to do with computers causes me to have doubts. There is so much about them that I don't understand and probably never will.

Thanks again,
      Harold<br />Kubuntu 8.04<br />Mepis 7.0 &amp; 8.0<br />Mint 5 KDE

Comment

Working...
      X