This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma and Desktop Icons.

Let me start by saying i consider myself and advanced user, but certainly not expert.

I have been using Ubuntu for quite some time now, but would like to make the switch to Kubuntu. I do have one problem with 8.10 (and 8.04 for that matter). I think that letting "Plasma" handle the desktop icons is silly, and the fact that there seems to be no way of disabling that is entirely irresponsible on the developers' part.

Now, of course, I could be wrong and there is an easy way of disabling that feature and just having icons on my desktop the way it is in gnome and in KDE3.5 while still keeping plasma around to handle the other things like widgets and the taskbar, But I for the life of me can't seem to find it.

Does anyone out there know if there is a way to do it?

Re: Plasma and Desktop Icons.

hi korokinopio,

I must admit that I'm not a real icons-on-the-desktop kinda person but, if you have Widgets UNLOCKED, then you can drop folders and files on the plasma desktop just as before... In fact, dropping stuff there often gives you additional functionality that never existed before, eg:

folders -> folder view or icon
    images -> picture frame or icon

I'm sure they got some other interesting stuff planned for plasma in future versions

Confucius says: If you enjoy your work, then you never have to work another day in your life.

Comment

In addition, once KDE 4.2 comes around, you'll be able to easily set up a 'traditonal' desktop with just icons.

Comment

Thanks Guys

Comment

Working...
        X