This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's Partimage? [SOLVED]

I have the Partimage utility on my Hardy Heron (8.04.1) machine, which dual-boots WinXP, and want to put it on my Intrepid Ibex machine, which dual-boots WinXP as well. This morning, I tried to do that, but could not. A search in Adept Installer turned up nothing, so I guess Partimage wasn't included in the Kubuntu 8.10 repository.

I then tried to do a manual install of Partimage in 8.10. One thing led to another, and soon I was faced with having to compile a bzip2 library from source for Partimage to work. I don't know how to do that, so I gave up.

How can I get Partimage, or something similar, installed under Kubuntu 8.10? Partimage works fine, even though it's advertised as still in the "alpha" dev stage. It is the only free utility I've found which quickly and easily backs up and restores Win XP boot partitions.

Can anyone walk me through how to install Partimage the "old fashioned" way, or at least point me to a partition imaging utility which IS in the 8.10 repository? Or is there another repository I can add, which has Partimage in it?

Re: Where's Partimage?

Objkt You can use Gparted.It is in aept add& remove.I use it and it works well.

Comment

No dice. Gparted is nowhere to be found.

Qtparted was there, but doesn't work. I got it installed through Adept Installer, but when I try to start it up, I get an error dialog stating:

Code:
      Command not found!
      weird. Maybe I need to restart or something?

Figured it out, sorta. If I run from the command line, e.g.
      Code:
      sudo qtparted
      it works. Must be something wrong with the menu item.

However, Qtparted is useless for what I want to do. I want to be able to BACK UP and RESTORE partitions, not just look at them or move them. Qtparted doesn't do that.

Comment

Thanks pluck for the gparted works great it in system as partition editor

Comment

Strange.
          In 8.10, Adept, I have both gparted and partimage.
          partimage is also on various other utility disks.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If it's in the repository, it's well hidden. I couldn't get Adept manager to find partimage at the time - maybe I'll look again.

I really need it to be in the repository. I looked at installing partimage manually, and it's simply beyond my ability at this point. There's a whole lot of stuff you need to do that I have no idea how to do. Installing from the repository is easy because it takes care of all needed packages and dependencies automagically. Installing manually - not so much.

Update: I rebooted into Kubuntu 8.10 and looked again. Partimage still isn't in Adept. I searched all these: "partimage," "image," "part," but partimage was not one of the results.

Yes, I can run partimage by booting e.g. System Rescue CD, but it's harder than running it under my Kubuntu install. SysRescueCD doesn't automatically mount the hard drive where I need to store the image. Took me a while to figure that out. I'd rather run Partimage under Kubuntu, so I know where everything is and don't have to go about manually mounting volumes etc.

Comment

It's available in the ubuntu universe repository.

Comment

Start Adept Manager. Click on Sources > Edit Software Sources. On the Kubuntu Software tab ensure that Community-maintained Opens Source software (universe) is checked. Personally, I have every item on this tab checked. Click Close and then Fetch current package lists. Then search on partimage - you'll find it listed.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks! That did the trick.

Not quite done.

While it appears to have worked, I don't have a menu item for partimage anywhere. I can run it from the command line, but that's it. How can I make an icon to run it with sudo? You have to use sudo or partimage doesn't work.

Comment

Would you return to your initial post in this thread, click the modify button and add SOLVED to the subject line?
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

To add a menu item:
                      Right click on the kicker, choose "Menu Editor"
                      Highlight the group you want to add it to, choose "New Item"
                      Add name where relevant, add 'sudo /usr/bin/partimage', or whatever the path to the command line is.
                      Right click the icon, and browse around /usr/share/icons for an appropriate image.
                      Oh, and don't forget to click the "save" icon when finished, or it's all for naught.
                      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: Where's Partimage? [SOLVED]

Son of a...

I got Partimage installed all right, and even with the icon. But it segfaults. Can't run it under Kubuntu 8.10.

It works fine in a couple of rescue CD environments, such as System Rescue CD and Parted Magic. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                        X