X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

medibuntu adept problem, apt-get works

Hi guys!
    I'm running Kubuntu Intrepid and I can't for the life of me understand why Adept and Synaptic won't read from the Medibuntu repositories when apt-get does.
    I followed the instructions on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu to add the repositories for Medibuntu. This created the file
    /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
    with the following content:

## Medibuntu - Ubuntu 8.10 "intrepid ibex"
    ## Please report any bug on https://bugs.launchpad.net/medibuntu/
    deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ intrepid free non-free
    deb-src http://packages.medibuntu.org/ intrepid free non-free

I also added the required key as described on the Medibuntu page.

Neither Adept nor Synaptic find the package Skype no matter how much I update the sources. I managed to install Skype using
    sudo apt-get install skype
    without any problems. What's going on here?

Re: medibuntu adept problem, apt-get works

From the adept gui, select sources and then edit source list - IIRC that's what it is called. Then in the 3rd party software section, ensure medibuntu is enabled.

Comment

It's enabled all right.

Comment

Than I really can't offer any suggestion as to why it is (mis)behaving as it is

Comment

I had the same problem.
          I installed from shell (sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install <some_package>)
          I also started using aptitude.

I did notice that after restart the medibuntu packages appeared in adept.

Still not used to the new adept GUI, so there might be a way to update the list from adpet.

So far I don't like the new adept interface. In my opinion it's not intuitive, and there are bugs on top of that.
          I'll probably get used to it with time.

Comment

I know it's old fashioned, but it works:

add

Code:
            # Medibuntu
            deb [url]http://packages.medibuntu.org/[/url] intrepid free non-free
            to your /etc/apt/sources.list - you have installed the key already, right? This followed by a
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            will get you there
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I tried "the old fashioned way" too. Still no cigar with Adept. But apt-get works.
              I'm suspecting some issues involving the key getting lost in Adept.
              Could somebody post the command to get the key right for certain?

While messing around with this issue I removed the key once, using the Adept GUI, and got a note saying that the key could not be removed and that I should file a bug report. In practice I believe the key was removed. Kubuntu Intrepid really still feels pretty beta to me.

Comment

Code:
                sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring
                then you have to update again

Code:
                sudo apt-get update
                and Bob's your uncle

And I cannot stress it often enough, the command line is much faster and better than adept and synaptics combined! More info faster at your fingertips. For a quick overview: http://mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10870
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Still no luck with Adept, even after purging medibuntu-keyring and reinstalling through apt-get. But thanks for your help anyway and thanks for the link. I agree that many things are faster through the command line, but I sometimes find it hard to remember commands and like a nice GUI. Right now I'm thinking about switching to Ubuntu Gnome, which I haven't used in years.

Comment

Well, you are of course free to do so. Personally I am no fan of gnome and would - in your position - either install synaptic in 8.10 or go back to KDE3 and 8.04.

But if you have not tried gnome for a number of years it - why the heck not take a quick look? BTW, you are aware that the Linux, i.e. the OS level is the same for Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Fluxbuntu - so there is no need to install the whole caboodle again - a simple
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
                    will do the trick

Comment

Sure, but just adding the Gnome desktop cludders both menus. Me no like. Do you happen to know of an easy way of keeping the menus clean?

Comment

No

I have seen stuff on kde-apps.org for a gnome and its gnome equivalent for a kde menu but never checked it out...

I don't mind the "clutter" as I don't really use menus anyway...

Sorry, mate.

Comment

I've just tried toad's suggestions, i added the repo via Synaptic ->Settings ->Repositories ->Third Party Software ->Add deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ intrepid free non-free, reloaded, Synaptic whinged about the key, so i closed Synaptic, opened a Console, copy/pasted sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring, re-opened Synaptic, Re-loaded the information, and the Linux Headers need to be up-dated.

37Mb.... i'll do it tonight.... when it's free.

Thank You, toad.

Comment

Working...
                          X